Backyard Reception (18)

The weather after the wedding was still nice enough to have the reception outside. It was cool on the late April day, but Lily didn't mind. Her new family consisted of supernatural creatures that didn't feel the cold- or the warmth- and the wolves ran high enough body temperatures to walk around in shorts in January, so Lily didn't see any problem there. As for any human guests, they were fine in their sweaters or suit coats. There was also a large canopy set up to block any wind or potential rain. Lily wasn't sure where Alice had found it, but the canopy was large enough to accommodate seating for the guests as well as tables for food and a decently sized dance floor.

"Lily," Bella called with a smile. She was pulling a middle-aged man along with her as she walked toward Lily and Carlisle. The man was close to Carlisle's height with brown curly hair and dark brown eyes. The two stopped in front of the newlyweds. "This is my dad, Charlie."

Charlie nodded, his hands awkwardly tucked in his pockets. "Congrats. Carlisle, good to see you again."

"Thank you for coming," Carlisle said with a smile. "Vera, Charlie is an old friend. He's the Chief of Police up in Forks."

"I remember Bella mentioned that," Lily said kindly. She shook the man's hand somewhat awkwardly. "Thank you for coming, Charlie. I'm sure there were many other things you had planned for this weekend."

Charlie smiled at that. "I wasn't going to let Sue come alone, and Leah wanted us to meet you."

Lily furrowed her brow momentarily and glanced at Carlisle. Who was Sue? How did Leah know her?

"There you are!" Leah said cheerily as she came over. She nodded in Charlie's direction. "Charlie."

"You look good, Leah," Charlie complimented. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Sue said you seemed happier."

Leah smiled at Lily before turning to him. "I am, but today isn't about me. It's about Lily and her new husband."

"I'm sorry," Lily said kindly. "I think I missed something."

"Lily!" a girl called and hugged the woman. She stepped back to reveal Claire. "I missed you."

Lily was more confused now. She had been sure that the rest of the pack was staying in La Push for a while. "Claire, hi."

"Don't worry," Claire said wisely. "I made sure I wasn't dirty before hugging you. I don't want to ruin your pretty dress."

"Thanks," Lily said quietly with a small smile.

"Charlie, Seth saved us spots at Jacob's table," a woman said as she walked up. The woman was wearing a navy dress that stopped just below her knees. Her hair was black and pulled back out of her face to reveal simple earrings that complimented her necklace. The woman was clearly Quileute. She linked her arm through Charlie's and turned to face Lily. "Hello. I'm Sue. Leah has told me a lot about you. It was a beautiful ceremony."

"Thank you," Lily repeated. She sat in the chair behind her, growing tired of standing once again. She didn't have the energy she'd once had. Carlisle placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, silently worrying all the interaction was wearing on his new wife more than it should. "I was just telling Charlie how nice it was of him to come. I know all the police work would be a lot to put aside, even for a couple of days."

Sue looked up at Charlie with a furrowed brow before looking at Lily again. "We're both glad to be here. Excuse us."

The couple took off with Claire in tow before the girl spotted Quil and ran over to him. Bella went off to find her husband. Lily chewed her lip. "Carlisle, who is Sue?"

"Sue is Charlie's wife," Carlisle answered.

"And my mom," Leah added. She had placed herself in the chair next to Lily. "I told you how my dad died about six years ago. Dad and Charlie were friends. When Bella got sick after the wedding, Charlie was distraught with worry and mom helped keep him calm until Jacob blew the secret about the pack and he learned that Bella was okay. So Bella's my step sister. Nobody really knows yet, but-"