Chapter 14

Adelaide

Adelaide

My alarm goes off too early and I roll over. I lift my hand, smacking at it to stop the hideous music assaulting my peaceful dreams. When my hand comes in contact with a flat, glassy surface, I realize I'm not going to be able to shut my phone up by smacking it. Oh, the days when I actually had an alarm clock.

Oh, the days when I could actually remember to turn it off for the weekend.

Groaning, I sit up in bed and reach for my phone, aggressively silencing the music.

With that, I fall back onto my pillows.

It's too early to be up after staying up until three last night. I don't normally stay up that late, but after all my friends left, including Justin and his mom, the family was still going strong and we all decided it would be a good idea to play some cards. Little did we know it would last so long.

When my eyes have finally adjusted to the brightness, I reach for my phone so I can check my text messages. I have three – two about getting my butt out of bed so Mom and Dad can start making breakfast (one from each of my brothers), and the third from Justin saying he had a great time last night.

Well, if he had a great time last night, then my night was extravagant. Magical. Remarkable. I always thought my first kiss would come from one of those stupid Truth or Dare games we used to play when Soph and I were younger, and not from the boy I've been crushing on since our seventh English class together.

I would say the first, but I didn't really know Justin at that point. Sure, I thought he was good-looking, but he also came across as hostile. It wasn't until we started texting and talking that it really hit me.

I sigh, closing my eyes and smiling at the memory of the kiss.

It was hesitant at first, but I like it that way. First kisses aren't like the books I read – they're never perfect. And me and Justin are prime examples of that; we were hesitant and didn't really know what to do. Cautious, if you will. On top of that, I kept questioning myself, wondering if I was doing it right. Not to mention the wigs were kind of annoying, too.

But I have no problem with that. None whatsoever. A kiss is a kiss and I wouldn't ask for more.

"For Christ's sake, Addie!" Alex shouts through my bedroom door. "If you don't get up and come downstairs, Jake and I are going to get the water guns out and forcefully wake you up."

"What did I say about using empty threats, Alex?" I shout back, laughing and shaking my head. I don't know how many times Alex has threatened me and ended up doing nothing.

"Adelaide," he warns.

"Fine, fine," I say, swinging my legs over the bed and walking over to grab my fluffy housecoat. "I'll be right out. But that's only because I don't want your hangry butt running my day."