Chapter 2: Jasper

Ch 2

The alarm clock reads 7:00. That means I have to get up, but my muscles ache from my impromptu run, my brain aches from hearing the song from my dream, and the weird conversation about my suddenly-real brother. Maybe I dreamt it. I swing my legs out of bed, groaning when they start to ache. I shower quickly, shaking my head like a puppy and spraying an arc of water droplets through the air.

Well, maybe if my brother is real, so is the girl? Silver linings, am I right! I sling on some skinny jeans, my dark blue ones, and a black short sleeve T-Shirt. It's tight on me now, almost to the point of ripping. It emphasises the muscles I've slaved at away at the gym for, and I can't help but flex in the mirror, smugly.

I need to get going or I'll be late, but I slide down the banister and into the kitchen to chat to Dad. One look at him and it's clear it wasn't a dream.

"I think we need to talk." He rubs his forehead, a sure sign of him being stressed.

"Fire away." I sit at the table, forcing my ever-tapping foot to stay still.

"Your brother is...look, you're a part of something bigger than you think. It sounds daft, I'm not an idiot. But you are part of something...something huge. And these dreams you have are instrumental. But you won't tell me what's in them and I can't help you because I'm not allowed. Your brother is the bad guy in all of this, and when I say brother I mean in kin only, he's something else entirely. You're a part of something huge, Jasper. And I can't explain right now, or ever, but I can help you along the way."

"Dad, I get it. I already figured Jaidon was a bit of a retard, to be honest. And if/when he turns up, we'll deal with it. It ain't a problem. I need to get going." I bump fists with Dad, and then walk out of the front door. I check my phone, with five texts from various girls. 'Hey baby x' 'You busy tomorrow? :* xxx' 'Hiii Jasper xx' same old same old same old, I'm tired of it. I need a new challenge, because the way to describe these girls is easy with a capital E.

Ah, Shirview High School. Bursting with rowdy kids and manned by well-trained teachers. Ha. I enter the school gates, immediately waylaid by CeeCee, ex-girlfriend and school's Queen Bee. "Heyyy, I was thinkin' maybe you and I could..." She trails off as I don't even acknowledge her, just keep walking. "Jasper, darling, perhaps - "

"Stop right there, CeCilia." She winces, looking round in case anyone heard her real name. "Just give up." I turn and walk, and she doesn't follow this time.

"Heard about the new girl? She starts today." My buddy from football, Bryce, elbows me suggestively, and I consider it. A possible challenge...

"No, actually, I didn't know."

"Yeah, well, Lita chatted up the reception guy while I snuck into the records room. I got her timetable, and it's pretty much the same as yours. In there, golden boy." Another elbow, and I punch him in the stomach, and we grapple and roll around on the ground, swapping insults and punches in between laughter.

"Ladies, please refrain. You can share the lipstick, just use it one at a time!" Lita stands with her hands on her hips, smirking. Bryce jumps up and sweeps her legs out from under her, carrying her around whilst she squeals. I smile, because it's nice to see them together. I stand, brushing leaves and grass from my clothes. Bryce hands me the new girls timetable and runs off, chasing Lita.

She has all of the same classes as me today, except for Business Studies. I grin. The bell rings and I make haste to Music. I get there first, and sit in the middle of the classroom, sprawling across two desks and a chair. The teacher, Miss Rowley, doesn't mind because I'm her favourite student, not that she'd admit it. The rest of the class trickles in, but no new faces. I stare intently at the door, waiting. Someone says something, but I don't hear it.