Chapter 5: Jasper

Is it sad that I don't sleep because I'm excited to see Melody tomorrow? Plus, that almost-kiss plays upon my mind like a...like a melody. I chuckle, shifting on my mattress. I check the clock. It reads 6:02, which is two minutes from when I last checked the clock. I swear to God, the fates are trying to make the night last forever. I check my phone. And smile.

Hey, are you sleeping? Xxx

No, wide awake all night, me xxx

Me too, everything on my mind xxx

Same. You, specifically ;) xxx

What, in the tree? Xxx

Yeah xxx

Do you like me? Xxx

Yeah xxx

I mean in the way that isn't friendly...xxx

Well, yeah, I guess I do xxx

Oh xxx

Do you like me? Xxx

I don't know. You're so confusing xxx

What do you mean? Xxx

Because you're supposed to be the typical popular guy that I can hate with no problem and you're just not...xxx

Well I assure you I'm not the typical popular guy xxx

I know, that's the confusing part xxx

Well, stop thinking xxx

Huh? Xxx

Stop thinking and be impulsive xxx

Impulsive how? Xxx

Just do things on a whim xxx

What, like jump off a bridge? ;) xxx

Not quite haha xxx

I'll give it a try xxx

Cool xxx

Job for today: BE IMPULSIVE xxx

Walk with me? Xxx

Sure xxx

Thanks. See you later. Bye xxx

Bye, Jasper. Xxx

I scroll through the conversation, rereading it all and mouthing the words, a goofy smile on my face. I check the clock, and realise we've been texting an hour and I need to get up. I shower and find a clean shirt (I REALLY need to do a wash load) before jogging down the stairs, humming the song. I exchange pleasantries with Dad, pretending I don't need to talk to him desperately, because I don't want to.

"Sup, loser." Melody greets me at the bottom of my street.

"Sup, midget." I keep a straight face until she whacks me, and then I dissolve into laughter. I can't remember the last time I properly laughed. I ruffle her hair and she gasps, and I run away, her chasing me and giggling. A small weight on my back makes me laugh harder because she just jumped on me and her feet don't even touch the floor.

I shift so that she ends up on my shoulders and then I run, with her screaming and laughing. I let her down after a few minutes. Her makeup has run a little where she's laughed so hard her eyes watered, and her hair is a windswept mess. She looks disheveled and...hot.

"Wait up!" Calls a voice behind us and we turn together. Jaidon waves, a wide smile on his handsome face. "Hi guys!"

"Find a hole and die in it, Jaidon." Melody snaps, taking my arm and starting to walk off.

"You going to go tell on me? To who? That sister of yours? I have to say, I've taken a shine to her, if you know what I mean." He winks three times in succession, and then a crack slices the air and I realise Melody just slapped him. I'm proud of her. "Touch my sister if you freaking dare." She says. She tries to turn away and then is jerked back.