Chapter 4: Jasper.

yawn, waking up 5 seconds before my alarm goes off. I love doing that. The dream from last night rushes back to me and the smile drops from my face. I rub my forehead, slowly. I consider texting her again, but she ignored me both times yesterday and I know she has my number since she called and then hung up without saying a word. Strange.

I slide down the stairs and into the kitchen, where Dad sits in his usual spot, with his usual cup of coffee in his usual mug. It occurs to me Dad is a man of routine. Only to be proven when he says casually, "You didn't scream last night. You called out for someone. Melody."

"Yeah, my dream changed." Dad looks at me sharply.

"How?"

"Um, the girl in it died quickly, and Jaidon killed her differently."

"Wait, your brother is in this dream now? Oh, I should have known..." He puts his head in his hands.

"Um, I gotta go. But we need to talk after school, clearly. Bye." I wave a hand and then leave, walking slowly. A girl comes out of the side street not far down from me. She's tiny, with hip-length hair in a fishtail braid. Wearing tattered denim shorts with black lace tights and an off-shoulder cotton top.

"Melody!" I shout.

"Hello." She says politely, but her eyes betray her unease.

"You called me yesterday." I say quietly, walking next to her.

"I know. I - I had a nightmare. I didn't mean to call you."

"Was I in it?" I say, swallowing my dread.

"It doesn't matter." So yes, I was. Oh, dear.

"Okay. So, what brings you to England?"

"My parents were killed in a freak car crash last year, and we didn't like LA without them."

"We?"

"Me and my sister. Harmony."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Why?" She shrugs.

"It's - it's like an expression of empathy."

"Generic expressions to mask discomfort at being put in an awkward position aren't comforting." She smirks, though it's more ironic than genuine.

"I'm - " I almost apologise again. "I'm gonna have to remember that." I offer a grin, but she doesn't return it.

We share first class, so after registering, we walk together. It isn't the way friends walk, though. I've never experienced anything like it. She walks in first, as I hold the door for her. Sat in the middle of the classroom is Jaidon. She gasps and grabs my arm, before dropping it in disgust when she realises what she's doing. She sits down. In my spot, of all places. I roll my eyes and sit next to her, ignoring my brother, and she sighs.

Class rolls by quickly, as the teacher spends half of her time ogling Jaidon's muscled arms. Even I admit they're impressive, but I'm pretty sure he's wearing my shirt. Mel stands first, bending down to pick up her bag and sketchbook. Then she jumps back up and turns around, hand covering her behind.

"You're a disgusting human being." She says, shaking her head. This time she crouches, and I realise what Bryce just did.

Anger swells like a friendly beast rearing it's head. The teacher has already left, so I walk calmly around the table, calmly guide Bryce's partner out of the way then shove Bryce against the wall, lifting him an inch off of his feet with one hand, the other pushing his head against the wall by his hair.

"You're sick. She's barely of legal age. Touch her again, and I will personally see to it that you can't touch anything again." I hiss though gritted teeth, Bryce's face an inch from mine. I let him down, and he collapses to his knees. "Apologise." I say, with 30 kids watching. "Apologise, now." I say. The threat unspoken. Jaidon nowhere to be seen.