Chapter 15

Nicholas felt nothing. No emotions, no senses, just... nothing. He couldn't remember anything, and he couldn't even think to try. He didn't even notice all of this either. It was as if he was never there.

Suddenly, his senses overwhelmed him. It was as if someone had just dumped a bucket of emotions on top of him. His eyes snapped open, and color rushed into his sight. He coughed loudly, gasping between coughs. Once he had finished coughing, he took in a deep breath. He noticed that he was inside, and then noticed that someone was next to him.

He looked over to the person, seeing a girl. She was flipping through pages quickly, but definitely noticed that he was conscious. He turned his head to look at her, saying in a ragged, dry voice, "Who are you?"

She slammed the book closed, setting it down quickly. She looked at him, saying, "I'm sorry! I don't know much about how to care for people, especially people who I just revived!"

"Wait... I was dead!?"

"Yes... but not anymore! I found a way to get enough mana to revive you! Though, the book said that you might not be able to do much for a while, since you've been dead for a long time..."

"I mean, it's better than being dead."

"It most definitely is. Should I go tell Spark? My dragon told me her name earlier."

"Don't. I think that it would be better in person. Besides, I don't want to be left here alone with a hole in my chest, even if the magic has mostly healed it by now."

"That's true. Well, I should probably read through the books again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. I didn't know if there was a time limit for this and I didn't want to wait and find out. I haven't actually done this before."

"That would be a good idea. I'll just... sit here while you do that."

---------

Ethan stood at the entrance of a heavily forested area. He frowned, knowing that he had to go through all of that. Looking at the map in his hand, he noticed that he had to either to walk all the way around the forest or go through it. Going through it would be difficult and a little dangerous, but going around it would take more time and could lead him past his target.

He sighed, putting up the map. He walked into the forest, taking out his staff. He had only made it a few steps in when he was attacked by a wolf.

Ethan let out a frustrated sound, firing a ball of magic at the wolf. It the wolf instantly vaporized when the ball touched it. When that happened, he heard growling noises from around him. There was a bark, and then the rest of the wolf's pack burst out from around him. There was at least 10 other wolves, all pouncing at him.

In response, Ethan simply raised his staff off the ground a little, saying a quick chant. In an instant, a massive field of electricity burst around him from the staff. It hit all of the wolves, slamming them down to the ground. They were electrocuted, dead almost instantly.

Ethan lowered his staff to the ground, looking at the wolves, frowning. He didn't like killing creatures when he didn't need to, but he had no choice. They lived off one, extremely simple motto; kill or be killed.

Ethan resumed walking, not knowing exactly how close he was to finding what he wanted.

---------

After about half an hour, Nicholas had regained enough energy to move. He slowly stood up, using his arm as a support. Soon after, Kira stood up, asking, "So, are you feeling any better?"

He responded, "Yeah. I think I can stand again."

"Do you need any help?"

"No, I'm fine. Is it possible for me to go see Spark soon?"

"Yeah! Do you want to go now?"

"Yes, but I don't know my way around this place. You'll have to lead the way."

---------

After about an hour or so of walking, Ethan came upon an area of high magic concentration. It looked out of place, and the range was rather large for any normal magic abnormalities. He looked at it for a moment, studying the compensation of the spell.

After a moment, he recognized what it was. It was a spell that hid the covered area from any unwanted intruders, and alerted the caster of who and what enters. He smiled, glad that he had found what he was looking for.

He turned around, walking back where he had came from. Talking to himself, he said, "Now the king will give me what I want. Kira, here I come!"

---------

"Nick!"

Spark ran to Nicholas as he stepped out of the Nightshade base. Nicholas smiled as he saw her.

"Hey, Spark," Nicholas said, waving to Spark.

Spark nuzzled Nicholas with her head as he pet her back.

Spark smiled a dragon's smile, tears flowing. She said, "Nick, I thought you were dead..."

He responded, saying, "Don't worry, so did I. But I'm not anymore!"

"Please, Nick, don't leave me again..."

"Don't worry, I won't ever leave you. I will always be by your side until the very end..."