TWENTY SEVEN

AN UNBLINKING DEATH
______________

AN UNBLINKING DEATH______________

______________

I WAS IN THE SHACK WITH HAYLEY AND EVE. I laid down on a blanket, following Eve's instructions as she helped me prepare to give birth.

"That's it. Inhale and release" Eve spoke as I was doing some breathing exercises

"I guess this means no epidural, huh?" Hayley asked

"You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?" I asked

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying" Eve told me

"Okay" I sat up, sighing, "Then what, Eve? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one"

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do"

I nodded, "I hope so. As fun as it is to image Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone"

"Somehow doubt that" Hayley smiled

"Pardon the interruption" We turned our heads to the entrance and saw Elijah, "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising"

And when he said that, I realized that he knew about the deal.

ELIJAH, HAYLEY AND I LEFT THE SHACK, ALONG THE WAY WE GRABBED OLIVER AND JACKSON. We entered the barn to talk. After yesterday's events, I decided to spill everything and told Hayley about the deal Jackson and I made with Klaus.

"You're making a grave mistake," Elijah said

Oliver scoffed, "So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?"

Jackson sighed, "Look, Elijah. We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse—"

"Our gift" Oliver corrected

"Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to" Jackson finished

"I see. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation"

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way" Oliver spoke