Chapter 9

November 22st, 2018 4:26 P.M.

"Alright, no one be scared. They're generally harmless." Charlie assured as she walked back into the kitchen, the Nightshades standing just beyond sight of everyone at the table.

"So... those t-things that you set on fire are back? And here?" T-Bone shuttered,

"Almost all of them." Michael responded, noticing that T-Bone had a look of sheer terror on his face.

"The one that you were attacked by, the murderer actually, isn't here." T-Bone gave a relieved at Charlie's,

"Thank goodness. That had the potential to be awkward." T-Bone joked, earning a laugh from Anthony. Charlie then turned over to the hiding Nightshades.

"Come on guys. They're ready. I hope." she added, the Nightshades all exchanged glances, Funtime Foxy then gave Molten Freddy a hard shove, causing the bear to yelp and stumble into view.

"HEY!" he shouted, "RUDE!" Bon-Bon then peeked out, and one by one they all crept into view.

"I don't see anything." Marcia deadpanned,

"We've learned that only some people actually can see spirits." Henry shrugged.

"I'm pretty sure people who can't see us can hear us though." Elizabeth shrugged, causing Marcia to jump.

"See?"

Everyone who could see them, who hadn't before (So everyone but Marcia, Seraphina, Anthony and Jeremy) all stared with a mix of surprise and terror.

"This evening promises not to disappoint when it comes to... spookiness." Beverly commented with a small chuckle. Everyone sat in awkward silence for a few seconds. Some of them just awkwardly continued eating.

To say it was about a full minute of awkward silence would be... completely accurate.

The silence was sliced by the hallow ring of the phone,

"I'll get it." Michael commented, he got up out of his seat and walked into the living room to pick up the phone.

"Hello? Yes, this is Michael Afton..."

"W-what?"

-***-

"So... how's everyone doing?" Funtime Fox said,

"Fine. You?" Ludwig responded.

"Same." the mechanical fox responded.

"ALRIGHT! Enough of this silence!" Molten Freddy yelled, causing half of everyone at the table to jump.

"He's right. This is just plain... awkward. So has anyone seen any good movies?" T-Bone shrugged,

"Uh... Deadpool 2?" Fritz said,

"Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, that was great." Seraphina grinned,

"Infinity War!" Jeremy grinned enthusiastically.

"Incredibles 2. I took the kids to see it and even I liked it." Marcia smiled,

"Yeah!" Ludwig cheered.

"We should watch a movie once we finish, which is almost by the looks of it." Henry then chimed in with a grin. The conversation turned more casual as they began to talk about movies and TV, even Elizabeth and Charlie chimed in, though what they were talking about was... dated. Michael walked back into the kitchen, with a blank face on. He stared at the floor as he sat down.

"Michael? Are you okay?" Henry asked, turning to the zombified englishman. Michael sighed, shaking slightly,

"You know Maryland? M-my aunt?"

"Yeah?"

"She's dead... she died an hour ago."

Silence.

Everyone stopped mid-conversation.

"What happened?" Beverly asked,

"S-she was attack by a c-coyote and died from an infection. L-lockjaw I t-think."

"Michael... I'm sorry." Henry said sympathetically, placing a hand on Michael's shoulder as he squeezed his eyes shut.

"We should probably leave, I don't want to make things worse." Beverly said,"No no no. It's fine. You d-don't have to." Michael shook his head, eyes still closed.

"I'm just going to... go down stairs for a bit. I'll probably come back l-later." Michael got up from the table and went down into the basement.

"Wait... she died from lockjaw?" Beverly then paused.

-***-

Elizabeth went down into the basement, able to easily see in the darkness. She walked into the backroom where Michael stayed. The ghostly clown heard the quiet and hallow sob from her brother.

"M-michael?" her brother looked up at her as she sat down next to him.

"Looks like it's just you and me now." she commented, Michael shook his head.

"N-no... the t-thing is. Aunt M-maryland she..." he trailed off,

"She what?" Elizabeth then asked.

"Liz... Aunt Maryland has two kids. And h-her h-husband died two months a-ago." Elizabeth tilted her head,

"I'm they only "l-living" member of the family left... and they told me that h-her w-will states that..." Michael paused to take a few breaths in an attempt calm himself down.

"I've been giving custody of her kids Liz. It stated in h-her will that I have custody and be their guardian since I-I'm the only one alive."

Elizabeth stared with shock at her brother.

"Liz? I have no idea what to do."

Author's Note: Short(ish) but the last one was long,

And this is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery important.

In all honesty, when does Thanksgiving EVER go according to plan? Something always go wrong.