Six

"An hour and a half left, Miss Evans. Bickering surely made that half hour fly by quickly, didn't it?" Mr. Bennett says, glancing at his wrist watch.

"That was the longest thirty minutes of my life." I grumbled in response as I pull out a book from my backpack. Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen. I've read this book hundreds of times, seen all of the movies, it never gets old for me.

I hear Mr. Bennett chuckle softly. "Oh, you're not reading, young lady." I hear him say.

I look up at him with a puzzled glare on my face. "Excuse me?"

"You can clean my classroom. You're in detention." He replies sternly.

I gape at him and look around the classroom. Spotless. What the hell does this man expect me to clean?

"There should be glass cleaner in the cabinet by the back of the room, and paper towels. I'd like my windows spotless, please." His eyes are once again glued back to his computer screen.

The hour and a half went by too slowly, and uneventful. Finally, I could leave. 

"You're free to go, Miss Evans." Mr. Bennett says, closing his laptop and putting in a bag that he throws over his shoulder. He arises from his desk with his things and walks over to the door and holds it open. "Which means that I can finally leave as well." He continues with that attractive grin on his face. 

I avoid looking at him and collect my things, tossing my backpack around my shoulders. The town car should be outside waiting for me. I hope my parents aren't home, I don't want to get yelled at. Actually, at this point, I don't even get yelled at anymore, they just tell me how disappointed they are and make me feel bad - or at least try to make me feel bad.

I give him a small nod as I scurry passed him, exiting the room. He lets the door close on it's own and follows behind me to go downstairs as well. It's an awkward walk to the entrance of the school, I feel extremely uncomfortable.

Finally, we get outside of the school and I quickly spot my driver, Philippe, standing by the back of the car waiting for me. He gives me a small nod, but has a stern look on his face. Oh, he's pissed. I gulp and offer him a small smile, but don't get one in return. 

Mr. Bennett is still behind me, and I realize I stopped right in front of him. "Everything alright, Allison?"

Allison. He called me by my first name. Odd. Maybe because we're outside of the school? It's still strange, though. "Er... Yes. I'm fine." I say softly, glancing in his direction, but not exactly looking at him.

He raises an eyebrow in disbelief. "Very well. Have a good rest of the day, then. I'll see you tomorrow." He waves good-bye and walks to the teacher parking lot.

"Ok." Is all that I can say. He's suddenly nice to me now? He calls me by my first name? What just happened?

I approach Philippe and he opens my door for me, not saying a word. I mutter a 'thank you' as I slip into the car and he closes the door behind me. Great. When my parents aren't too busy to scold me for getting in trouble at school, Philippe is always around to do so. He's worked for my parents for as long as I can remember, and we've become close, he's like my second father, or an uncle.

When I get into my parents' penthouse, Emily is standing beside the elevator with her arms crossed over her chest, and tapping her foot.

"Please, I already got the silent treatment from Philippe." I murmur as I step inside.

"What did you do, Al?" She scolds, following behind me as I walk into the main room.

"A teacher was being unfair-"

"Alison Marie Evans!" She snaps, cutting me off. "This is always the case. You get into arguments with your teachers. Look, I know that some teachers can be unreasonable but sometimes you just need to deal with it. Think of it as a boss, sometimes you'll get total assholes for a boss, but if you treat them the way you treat your teachers, you're going to get fired."

"You don't understand, Emily! He was being ridiculous!" I retort.

She shakes her head. "I don't care. It's bound to happen in your life and you're going to have to learn that sometimes you have to just put on a fake smile and let them think they're right."

I groan and throw my backpack on the couch and manuever into the kitchen to get myself a snack. "Fine." I mutter in response.

"Allie, Allie, Allie." She sighs. "What are we going to do with you?"

I roll my eyes at her words. Why does everyone always say that to me? Am I really that difficult? Yeah, probably. But do I care? No, not really. I like me. The kids at school know that I don't take shit from anybody so they make sure not to piss me off. I like people being scared to cross me, I like me.

What is everyone so worried about anyway? I've already been accepted at four different Ivy League schools and senior year has just barely started. Clearly, I have to be doing something right. I wish more people would see that. My parents and teachers look at me and just see a "problem child". That's probably the reason my mom got her tubes tied after she had me, I was an accident, and I was a pain in the ass so they wanted to make sure they wouldn't have anymore kids. My parents tell me that they just wanted one kid, that's why mom got her tubes tied, but I think that's shit, personally.

From Liv: How was detention with Mr. Dreamy??

I roll my eyes at Olivia's word choice before texting her back.

To Liv: Shit. He made me clean his fucking windows until they were "spotless". 

From Liv: I have to say, I'm jealous! You got to spend two hours ALONE with him! Lucky... 

I scoff at her response. Has she no shame? I roll my eyes once again and put my phone to the side, not wanting to deal with her at the moment. I'm currently not in a good mood. Mr. Bennett is so frustrating, Phillippe silently scolding me, and getting lectured by Emily. Not my day, at all.

I take in a deep breath and lie down on my bed with my cat curled up closely to me. I softly stroke her fur as I drift off into sleep. It's been one long ass day.

* * *

I brace myself as Olivia, Becky and I approach Mr. Bennett's classroom for English. My two friends are giggling with excitement while I internally groan. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go. I take a deep breath as Becky opens the door to let us in. 

I see Mr. Bennett look up from his computer and makes eye contact with me, him adding a hint of a smile in his face. I immidiately blush and shift my eyes in the direction of seat. What was that? Becky and Olivia seem to have been oblivious to what just happened - for that, I thank God. If Liv noticed she'd get really annoying about it.

I slip into my seat in between Olivia and Rebeckah. I try to maintain my focus on anything but Mr. Bennett. I make myself look busy by digging in my backpack... Looking for something - but unsure what exactly I'm searching for. I find a mechanical pencil and figure that's probably useful. I pull it out and place it on my desk, followed by a binder. I sigh and put my backpack next to my desk on the floor, keeping my gaze focused on it.

Now I have no more distractions. I sigh and finally reach the courage to look up at Mr. Bennett, only to find him gazing at me intently. I blush once more. Why am I blushing?? Stop, Allie, stop! I take in a gulp and offer him a small, weak smile and he returns it with a much more convincing smile, making my heart race. What is wrong with me?? I blush once again and look down at my hands, twiddling my fingers. 

Class starts and Mr. Bennett begins taking role. When he calls my name, I don't look up. I loudly say 'present' and that's all. He goes through the entire class then stands up from his desk to begin teaching. He passes around a paper to everyone as tells us about today's agenda; which consisted of worksheets and reading - nothing exciting, as usual.