Chapter 15

Newt looked up to see Tina approaching.

"Hello," he said. "What are you doing here?"

Tina grinned. "I came to find you."

"Where's Tolliver?"

"What? You assume I have to be with Achilles every second of the day?" she asked. There was a mocking tone to her voice but Newt could tell she was fighting to keep it there without laughing.

"No," he chuckled. He became serious. "But you usually are with him nearly every second of the day. Where is he?"

Tina sighed and rolled her eyes. "You're right. He's not here. He wanted to see more of London."

"Why didn't you go with him?"

"I told him I didn't feel like going outside." She hesitated. "Actually, that was just my excuse for staying here to spend time with you. Besides, if I'm going to explore London, I'd want to be with someone who lives there." Tina grinned. "Like you."

Newt smiled. Hearing her say that made him feel like maybe he did have a chance with her after all. 

"Grab a bucket," he said. Her grinned widened and she did as she was told they began making their way through the basement, feeding the creatures.

"What did Tolliver say when he learned we went somewhere together yesterday?" Newt asked.

"Oh, he was furious."

Newt looked up quickly. "He was? What did he do?" Concern was written all over his face.

Tina started laughing. "I'm just joking." 

Newt glared at her. 

"I just wanted to see how you'd react," she said. Her face became serious. "He was upset that I had vanished without telling him but he still doesn't know you were with me." She frowned slightly. "Maybe it's best if it stays that way."

Newt nodded. He had noticed how protective Tolliver tended to be. It was obvious that Tina wanted to spend some time away from him but he didn't seem to be giving her that chance. Newt hated it.

He and Tina finished feeding the creatures. As they worked she kept asking him questions about the creatures and he would answer them in full detail. Then they made their way up to the living room and took a seat on the couch. They were silent for a moment. Newt glanced down at their hands, mere inches from each other on the couch between them. He gently ran his index finger over the back of her fingers. She grabbed his hand and scooted closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Tina," Newt murmured.

"Hmm."

"That day, when Tolliver came, you said you weren't happy to see him."

"I'm not," Tina replied simply.

Newt glanced down at her. "You're not?"

She shook her head.

"Why?"

"I -- it--"

"Tina, please be honest," Newt murmured.

"I don't know. It was just strange to see him here. I'm used to seeing him in New York. When I saw him here . . ." Tina let out a sigh. "Alright, fine. I didn't like seeing him next to you."

"What do you mean?"

"When I saw him next to you, I started to doubt the way I felt . . . about everything." Newt glanced at her. She was blushing slightly. "I started wondering how I ever fell in love with Achilles in the first place. He's not really anything like me at all."