andante, andante (just let the feeling grow)

Alex and Maggie meet on their flight back home, basically.  

•••

Maggie sinks down into her seat, shoves her backpack underneath the seat in front of her. A sigh rolls over her lips as she stretches a little, tilting her head from side to side to get rid of the strain in her neck. She's glad she's finally sitting down, can finally relax for a few hours. She can't wait to get home and wind down after having to spend some days back in Blue Springs for her aunt's birthday and almost missing her layover flight home afterwards, due to a delay. She forgot how emotionally draining it is to be back in her hometown, to see the people who treated her like dirt and to realize they haven't changed one bit.

So it's safe to say that she's glad to be going back home, back to National City. Back to her job. Back to hanging out at her favorite dive bar and playing pool with some locals. She's just glad to go back to her life. With that thought, she leans her head back and closes her eyes.

That is, until someone taps her on the shoulder.

Frowning, Maggie opens her eyes and turns her head to be met with a young woman's hopeful smile. There's a slight blush on her cheeks and for a few seconds Maggie thinks she's in the wrong seat, perhaps, but then she realizes she checked three times.

"Yeah?" Maggie asks, then, once she's recovered from her slight shock and she realizes they've just been looking at each other for some quiet seconds.

"Hi, I—I, uh, I'm sorry to bother you," the woman chuckles nervously, "I'm Olivia. And, uh, my partner and I were wondering if you were willing to switch seats with me? They're just the row in front of you and we'd like to sit together. If that's, uh, okay,"

Maggie smiles at that. "Of course,"

It only takes a few minutes for Maggie to switch places. She quickly meets Olivia's partner, Cam, shakes their hand firmly with a big smile.

"Thank you," Cam says, their smile bright, "and you never know, you might meet the love of your life, because of this,"

Maggie laughs softly, "I might,"

She watches how Olivia sits down next to Cam and puts her head on their shoulder almost immediately. It's cute, honestly. Maggie thinks about how long it's been since she put her head on someone's shoulder. It's certainly been a while. Her last relationship ended quite a while ago.

Deciding to not go down that road, Maggie goes back to what she was doing earlier. She leans her head back, closes her eyes and tries to relax until the flight attendants tell her to put her seatbelt on. She can't wait for this flight to be over. She can't wait to get off this plane, get her suitcase and go home to just lay in bed and watch some tv. To finally catch up on those shows she's been meaning to watch.

Maggie honestly doesn't care all that much, not right now. She just wants to be home. Back in her apartment, with her annoyingly loud neighbor and the old lady on the third floor who always asks her to help her with groceries. And—

Maggie startles when something falls on her lap.

Her eyes fly open and her hands immediately reach to push it off, until she realizes it's only a neck pillow and it's from the incredibly flustered woman standing in the aisle. The incredibly flustered and cute woman.

"I am so sorry," the woman exclaims, "I'm so clumsy. I didn't mean to disturb you. You seemed, uh, peaceful,"

Maggie chuckles, "Don't worry. It's alright,"

The woman seems relieved at Maggie's words and she sighs softly, rolls her eyes to herself as she smiles at Maggie. Then she focuses back on getting her small suitcase in the stowage above their heads. Maggie watches her, notices how she pokes her tongue out in concentration and catches herself smiling.