Chapter Four

On Saturday morning, Kurt woke up early. Blaine was gone, so he only had one thing to do.

He plugged in his earbuds and shuffled his playlist.

There was a game he played.

During pop songs, he did push-ups.

During rock songs, he did crunches.

During slow songs or love songs, he planked.

During alternative songs, he did squats.

During any other genre, he did lunges.

When the playlist ended, he ran five laps and shuffled it again.

He could only do this when Blaine was gone. Blaine didn't know about it, and Kurt wanted to keep it that way. He already knew Kurt didn't eat much, unless someone told him to.

He had to stay skinny. Exercising was the only way.

Breakfast came and went. Lunch was just about to start when someone came out onto Dalton's track with him. Kurt didn't see them.

He only noticed that he wasn't alone when the playlist ended again and he was running. A blur ran alongside him.

It irritated him that they matched his pace with ease. So he ran faster.

So did they.

He kept speeding up, but they were always one step ahead of him. Then two.

They were a yard in front of him when he finished.

"How do you do that?" Kurt called across the track at them.

"I was bred like a racehorse," they called back, chuckling and walking towards him. "What are you doing all out here by yourself?"

"Exercising. What does it look like?" As they got closer, Kurt saw what they looked like.

He, as Kurt had determined, had long, silk-like black hair. The ends were dyed a vibrant purple, and he had a black lip piercing, shaped like a ring.

"That friend of yours," the boy asked. "What's his name?"

"Which one?"

"The cute one."

Kurt laughed. "You'll have to be more specific."

"Not very tall, dark, handsome? Quiet?"

Kurt frowned, thinking. "You could be describing two people."

"Hispanic?"

"Oh, you mean Thad?"

The boy sighed. "Of course. Of course, he looks like a god and his name sounds like a god," he mumbled.

Kurt chuckled. "Someone's quite smitten."

"I mean, we go to school together. He's just... the last time I saw him, he was in seventh grade. Now he's..." the boy let out a low whistle. "I mean, he was cute before, but now he's hot."

"Wait, seventh grade? What about eight grade?"

"Oh, I'm a sophomore."

"That makes sense. I don't mean to be rude, but is there anything else? I kind of have a schedule to keep."

"It's okay. I shouldn't keep you. Um, there's nothing else, except that you'd been good on the track team." The boy left, and Kurt pondered over the idea.

It would be a perfect way to exercise. He just had to get Blaine to agree.