Chapter Thirty-Eight

Hey, guys. Well, girls. And Jeff. If you're reading this, either I'm in the hospital or gone. I hope it's not the former. I probably shouldn't have written that, but I'm being perfectly honest here.
There's a professor here. He reminds me a lot of dad. Well, the old dad. Do you remember that? How he was?
But every time he snaps at a student, he yells, loses his temper... it pulls me back. I've had to leave the class several times.
You know how fucked up that is? How fucked up our life is? I'm sick of it.
I don't want you guys to doubt for a minute- no, a second- that I don't love you. I love you all. That includes you, Jeff, though I know you doubt yourself.
But there's something you need to know. Something we've kept from you. Kayla, Lexi, and especially Jeff, this is directed at you three. You're the ones who don't know.
'Died in childbirth.' There's part we didn't tell you. We agreed, since you're so young. But now you're all at least in high school, freshman or not.
She died because of him. He couldn't handle it. He switched what he dumped on her to dumping it on the only other plausible reason.
Read that. Then read it again. I'm not joking here.
He didn't become a new person. He'd hit mom. He'd hurt her, so badly she couldn't bare another child.
Jeff, you didn't change him. I need you to know that. He's always been the same person, he just changed the victim. You can't blame yourself, I know you do. You can't say you don't, I know you do. We all do.
As for my will, I don't have one. You five divide myself among yourselves. Except the package attached to this note. That's for Jeff, and only he can open it.
Anyway... goodbye.