Chapter 7

The trip was otherwise uneventful. I got a black dress for the upcoming dance that would be pushing the dress code to its max. Liss wanted to buy me a Rose necklace but couldn't afford it. I was landed in the clinic thanks to a rotten bench that shattered my ankle, or so I thought. Lissa must have healed it cause there was no damage apparently, as I found out when I woke up. Dimitri had been by my bed and had delivered presents- lipgloss from him and the rose necklace from Victor- for doing a good job on my first day. Training was supposed to be canceled for 2 days but Dimitri and I did my homework and he gave me a couple theory tests.

The dance came around that weekend and Mase had to drag me out. I wore the dress, left my hair down naturally and wore the necklace and black strappy heals. We ran into Dimitri and Alberta an the way, Dimitri and I doing nothing but staring each other up and down until Mase dragged me to the hall. The night went reasonably well until Mia got pissed at Liss. Liss went to the attic and I sent Christian after her and returned to my room before I could add to the drama. I had just walked through the door and got sucked into Lissa's head, she was being blindfolded and Christian got knocked out. I read from her mind these wee guardians- they shouldn't being doing that to her. I went to Dimitri's dorm and banged on the door.

"It's Lissa!"

"What's wrong?"

He was only in his pj shorts and I was getting a little turned on at the memory of the couch but fought it. Lust was clearly shining in his eyes at the sight of the dress but was also fighting the urge to rip it off me.

"It's Lissa. She was taken from the attic- by guardians. Christian got knocked out."

"Okay. But do you realise how distracting that dress is?"

"I can see it. And same to you about those shorts."

"Right- here wear this" he threw me a shirt and pair of his sweat pants. We changed infront of each other and the urge to throw myself into his arms and kiss him was beginning to get impossible to resist. I grabbed a ponytail holder from his bedside table and put my hair up after I'd changed and removed the necklace- with what we were about to do it was impractical. The second I removed it the urgent desire to throw myself in Dimitri's arms left, it was back to normal levels- a steady hum of desire, but we'd learnt to push it aside. I put my shoes and dress in the back corner of his wardrobe.

"Let's go" I said and we went to Kirova after getting Christian from the church attic. We set out after them. They hadn't gotten far and we got them without Liss getting hurt. Victor got thrown into the schools holding cell.

I was down in the cell getting info about being shadow kissed and all of a sudden Natalie came down saying "I'd do anything for my daddy". I still had my stake from Dimitri and the shopping trip and refused to hesitate. She was a Strigoi and that was all that mattered. I used all my standard and Dimitri combinations to take her down and didn't hesitate to send the stake into her heart. Just as Dimitri came through the door.

"Rose?"

"I'm fine. She went Strigoi and I refused to hesitate- your extra lessons and hours paid off."

"I'm glad you earned that stake early- you'd be screwed without it."

"I don't want to think about what could have been."

"Let's go to the clinic- get you checked out. You're not unscathed."

"Oh." I started feeling all the damage I'd received. "I'll go. You get this mess sorted out."

"Like hell. I'm coming with you. I know you're brushing it off."

"Damn it you know me too well. Fine." We left Victor in the cell. All his plans had backfired.

I got the all clear- no concussion. We reported what happened to Alberta and Kirova. As naturally it went through the rumour and gossip mill that Natalie had turned and I'd killed her. The novices were in awe but I didn't like the attention. I got my molnija mark a couple of days later and I went up in popularity with my fellow novices. A kill is a kill and my first one had been a friend- the hardest possible kill to do and I doubted any of them could have done it.