Why Me? Prologue

This was the prologue to a story I was writing, but I just didn't have enough time to finish. This started out as a short story, so why not just keep it as a short story?! Use your imagination to decide what comes next!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It started with the rain.

As Nick and I walked through town, the rain showed no sign of stopping. What a crappy day. I just wanted to have fun!

By the time we got to the supermarket, our hair was soaking wet and sticking to our foreheads. Just two friends going to the store on a rainy day. I attempted to talk Nick out of this bad idea. Nick wanted to go into the grocery store and steal. Today, Nick's plan was to steal some books and movies. Nick threatened to beat me up if I didn't go, so I had to. He shoved me into the book aisle to begin and ran the other way.

I walked past Twilight and the Harry Potter series, not bothering to steal them. He stole books like The Cat and The Hat and other little kid books to make Nick mad. I knew that after this, wouldn't be going anywhere with him anymore. I wore a giant coat that I had to wear to hide the books.

"Hey! Kid! Take those books out of your coat!" Dammit...

One of the store clerks must have seen me. I turned around came face to face with the ugly face of the police officer that always arrested Nick. I only knew this because I always had to bail Nick out of jail weeks before he was supposed to.

What should I do? I thought. Stay around and go to jail? Hell no. I decided to run. That's good, right? Wrong! He grabbed me. Due to the adrenaline pumping and my self-defense, I punched the officer square in the jaw and broke free of his grip. I ran right around the corner and *BAM!*

Just my luck. I ran right into the police officer's partner. The officer picked me up and slapped handcuffs to my wrists. Great. Now Nick is gonna have to get me out of jail!

I was forced into a small car and was brought to the police station. The location was in the worst spot ever. The officers were about to turn onto the road when the officer just stopped the car suddenly...

*People screaming. Tires screeching. Metal hitting. Horns beeping.*

...The cop's head had a terrible cut on its side and it was bleeding heavily. I noticed that there was a hidden passenger.

Nick.

I immediately started yelling at him. "Why did you do that?! You could have killed him!"

"Relax, Chris! It's no big deal! He'll wake up in and hour. I learned that in karate class."

I couldn't relax. I almost had the same death, in my least favorite spot, as my parents. I climbed through the car door open and got out. I walked down the road and stood in the same spot that I did eight years ago.

* * *

Christine was sitting outside the bookstore, in the pouring rain, while Laci was looking in it. When is she gonna be-"

She saw her parents. The look on their faces will always be clear in her mind. Their lives flashing before their eyes. Screaming, but nothing coming out of their mouths. The family car's front window smashing and showering glass all over the street. She was the last person to see them alive.

Eight years ago.

The last thing they said was, "We'll be back for dinner. Be good, Chris."

They never came back. That was the worst thing. Sometimes I still wait in front of the hospital to this day... wishing... waiting... When are they coming back?

"Be good, Chris..."

* * *

A screeching car.

Water flying.

It started with the rain...

... And ended with the rain.