Lily

"Stand still, Lily!" Mae shouted at me as she kneeled in front of me, trying to lower the hem of the dress she was going to lend me.

The top of the dress squeezed me so much, that I had to take deep breaths just to breathe. The plunging neckline must have looked great on Mae, but on me, my breasts nearly popped out.

"This ain't the dress for me, Mae." I breathed.

She dismissed me with a wave of her hand, "Oh, hush!"

I rolled my eyes, "Can you at least hurry up with it? I told my daddy I was going come home to make some food for supper."

"Girl, it's only two o'clock. It ain't time for supper yet. . . Or is you trying to go somewhere else?" She looked up and wiggled her eyebrows.

"No."

She gave me a sly smile, "Really? No Mr. Johnny?"

"No."

"You ain't ever told me how it went. What y'all do?"

I sighed, "Dance."

"Dance?"

I nodded. She leaned back and settled herself against the wall and stared at me intently.

I frowned, "What?"

"Well I'm just waitin' for you to tell me why y'all was dancing. "

I rolled my eyes, "He was just showing me how to do it. I ain't no good at dancing."

Her eyes bucked, "Where'd y'all do it at?"

I swallowed hard as I broke eye contact with her, ". . .His house."

She squealed and jumped up, "You were in a white boy's house?!"

I shushed her, "Don't be yelling it out like that!"

She giggled, "What else happened?"

I sighed and started to pull at the zipper at the back of the dress, "It didn't go good. His cousin came home early and I had to hide. . . It just was a mess. I ain't talk to him since."

Mae frowned, "Girl. . . That boy likes you."

I slowly shook my head, "No--"

"Yes he does. And you like his little white butt back. You ain't gotta lie to me, girl."

I managed to pull the zipper all the way down. Taking in a deep breath as I looked over at her, "That ain't true."

She pursed her lips and rolled her eyes, "Whatever." she grabbed my dress off of the bed and tossed it to me," hurry up and get dressed. We 'bout to go to Jimmy's house."

"Jimmy?"

She gave a curt nod and left the room. I sighed and tugged off the tight dress. I quickly slipped into my regular dress and looked in the mirror.

What if she's right? What if he does like me?

***

"Hey y'all!" Jimmy yelled to us as we walked up to his house.

Mae quickly linked her arm with mine and used her other to wave at him like a wild woman.

She giggled like crazy when we got up close to him, "Hey Jimmy." she mused.

He smirked, "How you doing, Sallymae?" He reached out and tugged on one of her curls.

She fluttered her eyelashes, "I'm doing mighty fine."