19 | toronto

•••

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Days later

"Ian, look what you almost made me do! You almost made me crack my phone, you coward!" I snatched my phone away from him as we got to the baggage claim. If my phone cracks before this trip, I'll be screwed. It'll be like death coming my way. There's no way my mom will be getting me a new one.

"See, that's what you get for texting Rayah. Now, it's my turn to text... Oh, Nick!"

The flight was immensely long. Having an early flight kind of sucks, because you wake up so early to be on this flight, but end up not sleeping the whole ride. I only got one hour of sleep. One. This baby in front of me kept crying for an hour, but I wasn't entirely bothered. The mother told me and my mom it was her first flight, but eventually she stopped. The baby smiled at me too, which was cute.

Being at the airport and in a plane with Shawn wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. I didn't get to speak to him as much, but it was just... Eye talk. Eye talk meaning the bighead continuously likes to stare at me whenever Ian's not looking. He is in fact the most sneakiest person ever. But, I mainly took a nap on my mom's lap while Ian and Shawn talked about college. College, huh.

"Jokes on you, we were never together."

Sometimes, I forget Ian has an actual girlfriend. But, I know they're taking things slow, so that's why she's never at the house. - Or maybe they're not even together. I don't know, he doesn't talk to me about these certain things. I even almost forget about her sometimes. Maybe it was a phase.

"Hey Mal, I gotta show you something," Shawn asks for me, and a confused look forms on my face as I walk towards him. "What's up?"

"Oh nothing, that was my way of just wanting to talk to you. Can I ask you something though?" An actual idiot.

"Yeah, sure."

"You never told me about the drive-in!" There's something I don't want to necessarily talk about.

Whenever I think about the drive in, I think of Nick. And want to know about what happened with Nick? Well, I think he's upset with me. Or he is upset with me. We never got in an argument but he just suddenly stopped talking to me out of the blue. On the bright side, Leah and I are fine, but we haven't spoken about that night. Luckily, I was the first one to get dropped off. The car was so silent after the movie, I could hear grasshoppers chirp from miles away. It was that quiet. Leah never even opened her mouth, which came to my surprise. The music was on, but it just felt like I was in uber. The only words I spit out of my mouth was 'Thanks. Goodnight,' and that's it. Will my best friend ever talk to me ever again?

"The drive-in was fun, I really want to go to one again." A big lie. It wasn't as fun as I expected.

"That's great! So when are you going to surprise Leah?"

"Probably on Christmas day or if not Christmas Eve. I'm gonna facetime her on my laptop."

We've been stuck at this baggage claim for ten minutes, my patience is not tolerating. I just want to sleep. I need sleep. I'm sleep deprived.

"Okay, here's your bag," Ian handed me my luggage, and I sat down on the bench until everyone found their bags. I quickly take my phone out of my butt-pocket, and text Leah.

me
hi leah
ive arrived
i'm exhausted

leah
she's alive!!
how was your flight?