Nine

Lola didn't see the point in life anymore. She roamed the hospital aimlessly. Nurse Grace showed up more and more but she paid less and less attention to what she said. She was practically a second mother to her at this point, caring for her no matter what. Lola still didn't pay her any attention. Why am I still thinking of life? I have no usefulness anymore. Nothing, she thought. One day, someone had left the pharmacy door open. She snuck in silently and went to the anesthesia section. Where is it? Thiopental, no. Propofol, no. Methohexital, no. Lorazepam, no. Pentobarbital, yes! She grabbed as many bottles that her pockets could fit and grabbed about 15 syringes. Lola ran to her room and put them into a disposable Whole Foods bag that Nurse Grace left behind. Lola ran out of her room and outside. Nurse Grace had gotten her a jacket that she was wearing and normal clothes. She was to be discharged two days later when CPS would come in and decide what to do with her. Lola wasn't going to let some creeps decide her fate.

Lola ran away and called an Uber as soon as the hospital was a long distance away. She texted Nurse Grace goodbye and told her to not look for her. She told the Uber to take her to a destination no one would think of on a Saturday in winter break: school. The door was open, somehow. Maybe the office was open. Either way, she went to the least thought of place in the school: the senior AP Literature classroom. The teacher was gone for maternity leave. She brought out one bottle of the pentobarbital and opened one of the syringes. Lola inserted the syringe and measured out exactly 0.5 milliliters of liquid and inserted it into her shoulder. She squeezed and sat down at a chair in the room and put everything away. Slowly everything got darker and just moment's later, she fell unconscious.