Chapter Twenty-Two - Will

The stage lights are bright in Will's eyes, reflecting off the shiny wood of the grand piano and the orderly, familiar arrangement of black and white keys in front of him. The lights ensure that he can't see past the edge of the huge stage, for which he is very grateful.

He is also grateful he's not alone onstage. He is surrounded by friends and brilliant musicians. Cassandra sits to his right, and Jenny stands on his left with her marimba. The wind and brass representatives sit on Jenny's other side, facing Will and completing their half circle.

In the wings, Gilan catches Will's eye and gives him two thumbs up. Will gives him a small nod and a strained smile.

It's time. The last thing he'll do, for better or worse, as a National representative of the Redmont Conservatory. After this, he'll be the Araluen representative for the Junior International competition. Or it will be over. One of the two.

This isn't how he'd imagined it. So much has happened in the past few day, so many wrenches in whatever plan he thought he'd had. It hadn't even crossed his mind that when this moment came, he might not be sharing the stage with his very best friend.

For the first time, this thought doesn't hurt quite so much. It brings an ache to his chest, but it's more important than that. So as he brings hands to the keys, he remembers her just enough, brings her to mind. He catches Jenny's eyes. "For Alyss," he mouths.

She breaks into a huge, tear-filled smile and nods in agreement.

And they begin.

~

Afterwards, all they can do is wait. It's a difficult, strained silence, but somehow their companionship is stronger because of it. Gilan and Jenny sit in the corner, leaning against each other for strength. Their hands are clasped, Gilan's thumb running mindlessly back and forth over Jenny's knuckles in a simple motion that comforts both of them. 

Will sits slumped in a chair. Halt sits next to him, rubbing the tight muscles in Will's back and shoulders with one hand, another thermos of coffee in the other.

Cassandra is curled in a chair across the room, her fingers flying across her phone screen. Trying in her own way, just as much as the others, to hold on to sanity during this awful period of helpless waiting. Of knowing there's nothing else they can do.

And then, a flash of brilliant hope: a competition attendant, summoning the little Redmont delegation to the main auditorium.

~

A low buzz of conversation runs over the huge auditorium of the Araluen City Operahouse. The sea of seats is far from full, since this event draws a much smaller audience than a full opera or symphony performance. People sit in little clusters toward the stage, separated by a few rows.

Will is surprised to see how many groups there are present. He knew this competition would draw representative delegations from the many music schools in the country, but he never actually considered how many schools there are actually are. The number frightens him, and he sinks lower in his seat.

Finally, the buzz of conversation dims with the house lights as the stage lights brighten and a line of people file onstage. Will recognizes every face. These are the dignitaries of the Araluen musical world. The highest ranking musicians, composers, conductors. Those who hire the musicians who make up the world-class Araluen Symphony. Those who help launch soloist careers - or stop them from happening. These are the most powerful people in Will's world.

A man steps up to the microphone. Anthony Chamberlain, music director of the Araluen Symphony and chairman of the Araluen portion of the Junior International Competition.

"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed colleagues, aspiring musicians," he begins with a dramatic flourish, "it is my honor and privilege to welcome you to this year's National round of the Junior International Music Competition. In this auditorium, we hold the best, the brightest, the leaders of the next generation of music and the arts in this country - no, in the world."

"If he could count as well as he could talk, the Araluen Symphony would be a lot 'better and brighter,'" Halt hisses to Will. "Can't he just get to the point?"

In spite of himself, Will snorts softly. Mr. Baron gives Halt a pointed look. Halt shrugs unrepentantly.

Onstage, Anthony Chamberlain is still waxing eloquent about the competition. A few seats down from Will, Gilan groans softly, and Jenny whacks him with a percussion mallet in a swing worthy of Mr. Chubb.

Finally, after what seems like another eternity, Anthony comes to the end of his speech. "And so, it is my great honor to announce to you the brilliant young musicians who will represent our country at the International level of this competition. Representatives and alternates, please come to the stage upon being announced to be recognized, and you will be provided with information about the next stage of this competition immediately following the conclusion of the ceremony."

Anthony draws out a sheet of paper, and slowly begins to go through the different categories. Redmont does not place in wind or brass, and the Redmont wind and brass representatives breathe sighs of simultaneous relief and disappointment. Will is pleased to see that the vocal representative is a girl he vaguely remembers from Seacliff School of the Arts.

Gilan does not place in the composition division, although his piece is mentioned and given special distinction, which slightly softens the blow. Will privately wonders if they might have placed if Alyss had played with them.

"Percussion division, Araluen alternate: Jennifer Dalby, from the Redmont Conservatory!" Anthony announces. There's a muted squeal from down the row, and a sigh of relief from the teachers, and Jenny squeezes out of the row and heads for the stage. The Araluen representative is a pretty blonde girl named Delia from Seacliff, which doesn't surprise Will. The percussion teacher there rivals Mr. Chubb in fame and ability.

Finally, they come to the strings division. The alternate is a cellist from Highcliff Music School, and then: "Araluen representative: Cassandra Duncan, Redmont Conservatory!"

Halt has to actually push Cassandra into the aisle before she makes any move of her own. She seems to be in shock, but makes it to the stage on her own. Will's palms burn from clapping so hard.

And then, it's the piano division. Will's heart is stuck in his throat, and he can't breathe. The alternate is the pale girl from Aspienne, and Will's heart fall. He didn't get it, he didn't get it, after all that hard work, all that heartache, and -

"Araluen representative: Will Treaty, Redmont Conservatory!"

Will blinks, and then he is standing onstage, thunderous applause in his ears. Anthony Chamberlain hands him a certificate and shakes his hand enthusiastically. "Commendable performance, young Will. Most promising I've seen in years!"

The representatives are hustled off the stage in a blur of motion, and given envelopes with information and so many directions it hurts Will's head. The only thing that stands out is that they depart the day after tomorrow for Skandia.

For Internationals.

A/N: And so this leg of the story is complete. Again, sorry for the horribly long wait. I want to do a short epilogue to this at some point, but at least the main storyline is complete.

I don't know if or when I will be able to write the final planned book. My original idea was to draw inspiration from Will and Cassandra's adventures in Skandia. 

Thanks for sticking with me this far. You guys are the best.