PARADOXICAL PROLOGUE

Life is so weird. There is always something right in something that is wrong and something wrong in something that is right. We are free to choose but not free from the consequences of our choices. It is a paradox that we encounter as much internal noise when we first try to be in silence. It is a paradox that experiencing pain releases pain. We each possess a deeper level of being, however, which loves paradoxes. It knows that summer is already growing like a seed in the depth of winter. It knows that the moment we are born, we begin to die. It knows that all of the life shimmers, in shades of becoming – that shadow and light are always together, the visible mingled with the invisible.
When we sit in stillness we are profoundly active. Keeping silent, we hear the roar of existence. Through our willingness to be the one we are. We become one with everything.

Today, when I look back I feel these lines. My mum's suicide and my dad's car accident had broken down whatever little was left in me. I left for Cambridge, away from my elder brother who is in London, I had no one in life to love, except for myself and my godfather, Fred. He'd always loved me like his own daughter. It feels only yesterday when he too died of AIDS. But once again, I found a hope to live, a letter from his drawer:

She is a paradox. She is faithful yet detached. She is committed yet relaxed. She loves everyone and yet no one. She is sociable but also a loner. She is gentle yet tough. She is passionate but can also be platonic. In short, she is predictable, in her unpredictability.

I want you to inherit this Anika. Remember, there's always someone who looks upon you. Who cares for you, who trusts you, who loves you. Bring honor, to all of them and most importantly, yourself. Good luck

-- Uncle Fred