Chapter 3: A SHOCK OR A SURPRISE?

The next optimistic morning I wake up with my brother's hand securely wrapped around my waist. I think about last night. He wasn't home until midnight and I remember myself falling asleep, tired of waiting for him. I yank free from his clutches still mad with him for not picking up any calls and making me wait. I know he is busy and can't call but he shouldn't have kept me worried like that. What was I supposed to think? After all he was out on a Sunday leaving his sister to a complete stranger.

My action wakes him up. He slowly opens his eyes mumbling something along the lines of 'Morning, Anika'

"Wake up Tristan! And tell me where were you last night? I was so worried!"

"Worried? You were snoring here!" he speaks drowsily.

"First, it's not funny and second, I don't snore!"

"Of course you do!" he chuckles, still sleepy.

"Wake uuuppp!" I yell, shaking him angrily.

"Okay, okay, I'm up, I'm up!" he sits up straight.

"Now! Where were you ?"

"Office, important meeting." he sighs.

"On a Sunday?"

"Yep," he pops up the 'p' sound. Then rolls out of the bed and starts going towards the bathroom.

"Why? What happened?" He doesn't answer, so I follow him.

"Is it something bad? Are we in a loss? What is it, Tristan?"

"Oh god Anika, now are you gonna accompany me to the bathroom?" I don't realize that I follow him till there. So, I just stand there, looking like a silly girl with a worried face.

Tristan puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "Everything's absolutely perfect, nothing to worry about, okay?"

"You promise?"

"Of course!" he kisses my forehead and I contently smile.

"There's just one thing I need to tell you but first answering nature's call," he says and slams the bathroom door.

I start making the bed and head towards the kitchen to make some brewing coffee.

"From tomorrow, you'll be staying at Jason's place," Tristan says once he's done with his stuff.

My eyes bulge out in horror, "Why? and what do you mean, 'from tomorrow'?"

"Okay, so, yesterday, I had this meeting regarding a project which is stuck in Singapore and I have to go there myself in order to get it done. So, tomorrow I am going to Singapore and will not be back for ten days. And it'll be better if you are at Jason's place than living here all by yourself," he explains.

"Ten days? You won't be there for Christmas? and my birthday?"

He puts his head down, "Sorry princess. But this is a really important visit and I promise to get your presents and we'll also celebrate your birthday, okay?"

"Oh, Tristan... why'd you have to go? Try to be back before my birthday!"

I guess the pleading tone in my voice did the magic as he gently hugs me and kisses my forehead. I always feel like it's dad kissing me, so, I never complain.

***

The next day, Tristan leaves before the dawn breaks, around 06 30. I don't think Jason will be picking me up before ten and that means I have plenty of time to pack my stuff and still curl up in the bed. Almost immediately, I bounce back on the bed and pull the sheets up. Cozy. I am just about to dive asleep when I hear something clicking. Immediately, I'm on feet.