Chapter 10: Party Part 2

Neon lights flash everywhere like police sirens, but much more colorful. The music was so loud that it made my skin tingle and my lungs feel like mush. The bass thumped in time with my heartbeat as though they were one, filling me from head to toe with music. I liked this song. Over the roar of music, a distant, hazy chatter could be heard. I couldn't make out any words, but laughter rang in my ears and wouldn't seem to stop. That's when I felt a tug on my arm.

"Hey!" Nick yells over the music.

"Hey," I reply but my eyes wander over the place to search Jason, whom I've lost now.

I see Nick's lips moving as he tries to say something but due to the blasting music I'm unable to hear what. I gesture him as if to say 'I can't hear!'

Suddenly, Nick pulls me by my waist and I feel his breath on my neck.

"I'll introduce you to my friends, come with me," he says in my ear.

I immediately jerk away, quite annoyed with the sudden proximity. However, I smile and mouth 'okay'.

He starts to walk away motioning me to follow. As I tag alongside him, the music slowly fades away and we enter another huge room. Here, the scene's different. People are sloppily seated with glasses in their hands, giggling and snuggling. Though this might not top the places I'm most comfortable at, I decide to let my self free.

"Alright guys!!" Nick yells and immediately silence fills up, bringing six pairs of eyes on me. "Meet her," Nick points at me, "Anika." Some raise eyebrows, others smirk and I inwardly cringe. Yet, I throw a flashy smile trying to make my first impression the best one. I look at each one briefly, gaining enough insight about them as much as you can in one glance. They, probably doing the same.

The guy on the couch to my left seems like the only one sensible and a 'friend-material'. He's got a dark complexion and messy hair hidden under his hood with fits perfectly with his name - Jordan. Nick then introduces me to the guy named Mason whose features are all hidden due to the girl who is almost seated on him. Kaitlyn. She's got this curly dark brown hair with some curls painted red. And trust me, they look absolute mess! Sharing the same sofa are two other guys, Noah and Michael. Both are red-headed making me wonder if they're brothers or something. And to my extreme right is none other than Kiara. She viciously eyes me as if she's gonna devour me in one go. I shrug that off and settle myself on one of the chairs Nick got for us.

"Right! So where were we?" Noah grins.

"Now that we've got more company, why don't we play our game?" Kiara suggests in her 'oh-so-sweet' voice. Note the sarcasm.

"I'm in," Nick responds.

"What game?" I ask.

"Spin the bottle but it's our version where there'll just be dares," he explains.

"Oh...ok," I have decided to let my self be loose, and so it's gonna be.

Michael gets an empty beer bottle and places it on the table. Others come closer around it, forming a circle. I do the same. On my left I've got Jordan and Nick to my right. I mentally sigh knowing that I'd have a scarce chance of being dared by them.

The game begins. Bottle spun by Michael lands between Mason and Noah. Noah dares Mason to kiss any random girl, much to Kaitlyn's annoyance. However, as per 'no-cheating-the-bottle' rule, he completes his dare and returns back to his girl. Totally cliché if you ask me. Noah's got no creativity! Mason spins the bottle, and I automatically hold my breath, crossing my fingers so that it doesn't land on me. My prayers are answered as it just lands onto the person sitting next to me. It's Nick and Kiara now, with Nick thinking about a dare for Kiara.