Our first Christmas without Freddie

December 24, 1991

Today was the day. We were going back to London. Celine and I had bought presents for our loved ones, and we were excited to get home early so we could all clean the house a little before we started making our Christmas Eve dinner. We also called Freddie's parents as we wanted to make our evening very meaningful and special, and they had the right to be part of it.

It was a long exhausting flight, so John and Brian offered to pick us up at the airport. When we got to the house it looked as though it had never been abandoned for weeks. There wasn't any sign of dust, and it smelled really good; just like when I used to live there with Freddie. He always loved floral essences.

"Welcome back!" everybody welcomed Celine and me who had just gotten in the house. Everybody was there. Even Freddie's parents and Robert's family were already there.

It was very lovely to be back with all our loved ones waiting for us. I felt rush of mixed emotions again. This time I felt a lot of love and affection in the air. I couldn't explain with words how lovely it was.

"I have to be the first one to hug my little girls" said Robert as he threw his arms around me and Celine.

"Look at how much she's grown!" Exclaimed Roger. 

"If you're talking about Celine, you just saw her last week Roger. Now come here and give us a hug you bastard"

He smiled and took Celine in his arms.

"Thank you for coming, it means a lot to us" I said to Freddie's parents who had also brought Freddie's sister with them.

"It means a lot to us too" said Freddie's mother as she gently took my hand; her eyes were filled of love and thankfulness too.

"I can see you all cleaned up this place" I said looking around the living room as I sat down on Freddie's padded chair.

"Yeah. Women" snorted Roger.

"Ok, so I guess we should start with the dinner" I suggested as I walked to the kitchen with Veronica and Debbie following me.

"It smells really good in here. Were you cooking something?"

"Yes, we did. We-" Debbie was interrupted by sneaky Brian who almost pushed her as he tried approaching me.

"We already made some veggie stuff, but you know... it's a lot of people with different tastes and lifestyles, so if you want to make the traditional turkey and ham and all of that I guess I'll let you start that, but before that, I need to talk to you in private" God I forgot he talks a lot. He whispered the last sentence.

"Be quick, the girls and I have a lot to do" I said as I took him by his arm and guided him to a corner next to the fridge so we could talk in 'private' even everyone in the living room could hear us.

"So, you didn't tell me Chrissie was going to be here" He crossed his arms.

"Well. She's here"

"Are you insane?!?" He took a long time to explode like that.

"What?" it wasn't  meant to annoy Brian, and besides I knew nothing bad could happened from them being in the same house.

"You know what!"

"She's family Brian. She's the mother of your kids. Did you really expect her not coming? She has to be here" Common sense.

"Yeah, yeah, but why today?" That behavior was unbelievable from him!

"Why today? She's one of my best friends. I've known her longer than I've known Anita, and you're forgetting Chrissie also happened to be one of Freddie's closest friends... and he wants her to be here so...