I choose you to rule me, my Rose Marie

October 5, 1993

"Uncle Roger, you suck!"

"Watch your mouth miss!" I scolded.

Celine officially requested piano lessons, and so Roger volunteered to teach her the basics. It couldn't be more perfect; she was following her father's steps. It was good to realize at this point that Celine's temper was not a phase, it was her real self that was developing. I suppose she got it from her biological father. She was suspended from school last week for getting into three fights with other boys within the same month. I really tried my best, and I started to think maybe it doesn't have to do with how she's being educated, but with how her young mind is more self-conscious. Even though she never lacked of love and understanding, somehow she can't deal with the fame and the memory of Freddie's passing, and as result, her impulses can't take it.

"It's okay Rose. I was going too fast; my bad" Said Roger with Celine sitting on his lap in front Freddie's white piano.

"Pay attention to uncle Rog, Celine. He's been kind with offering in helping you" I said leaning against the piano.

"I'm sorry Uncle Rog, I was distracted" She said with her arms on her knees in embarrassment.

One thing I can say is she always admits when she's wrong. The bad thing is she does it at least three times a day.

"It's okay sweetie. Let's start from the beginning; what would you like to play? Anything in mind?"

"I want to play like daddy did"

"Oh. I'm not that good, but you sure can do it. Freddie played many beautiful songs"

That was true; Freddie would always make any song sound beautiful as soon as he put his voice to it. it felt a rush of emotions as Roger's comment took me back in time to that memory...when Freddie sang and played to me for the very first time. It was just his voice and the piano, and it was beautiful.

"I want to share a story with you" I began. "There's this song Freddie played for me when we just met. You think you can teach it to Celine?"

"Sure, I guess I could. I hope it's an easy one" He smirked.

"Wait here" I almost stumbled on everything getting on my way as I rushed to my room.

I looked through my old stuff under my bed. Old pictures, old, shoes, and old records. I found the one I was looking for: Slim Whitman's. it was a gift from my mother who was a big fan.

"What do you got in there mum?" Celine was curious.

"That looks like a very old vinyl" Said Roger as he took it. "Where did you get it? it's a nice collection piece"

"A gift from my mother. Roger, could you put it on our record player and play song number 10?"

"Alright" He said walking towards our record player "Number 10" He said sliding down the needle. "Done" He sat on the floor as Celine followed him.

Soon the music filled the room; I couldn't describe what I felt.

La da da da da, da da da da da da

Oh Rose, my Rose Marie

For a moment I felt it was Freddie singing to me like that night. The lyrics meant so much to me...I had forgotten how beautiful it sounded with his voice, and now it was like hearing him again.

Oh Rose Marie, I love you

I'm always dreaming of youNo matter what I do, I can't forget youSometimes I wish that I never met you

I cried. I brought my hands to my heart as I kept listening. It's like the song itself forced me to cry. Finally, every time I yell "I miss you every day" makes more sense than it usually does. I've never wanted to cry on front of my daughter to avoid making her upset and worried. I don't want to cause her a hard childhood.

And yet, if I should lose you

Would mean my very life to meOf all the queens that ever lived, I choose youTo rule me, my Rose Marie

I looked at Roger; his eyes were watery too. He held Celine closer.

Of all the queens that ever lived, I choose youTo rule me, my Rose Marie

La da da-da da da, da da da da da da

Oh Rose, my Rose Marie

"Rose...that was beautiful. I- ...I have no words"

"I know..."

"Uncle Roger..." Celine held Roger's face on her hands "Teach me to play this song. I want to sing it to mum too"

She might have a bad temper and impulsive actions, but she has feelings. I think the reason she's mad at the world sometimes is because Freddie is not around.

I don't blame her at all.