Chapter 13

Nandini

As soon as the door closes, I fall on my knees and cover my face with both my hands wanting to avoid any tears to build in them.

"I didn't want this to happen, I didn't wanna hurt you, Manik." I whisper those words to myself, even though I should be telling this to Manik.

Every time, I think I'm over him, but each time he proves me wrong by doing one or another thing.

I get up from the floor and wiping bits of water from my eyes, go upstairs and directly fall on my bed.

I stay in that position for God knows how long, blocking my mind from any thoughts of the guy that just left some time ago, until I decide to just go to sleep and forget about this.

I get up from the bed and go to the bathroom down the hall, where I complete all my night chores, trying my best to avoid thinking about him.

When I go back to my room, I pick my mobile and check some instagram stories, while laying down to distract myself, but my mind again drifts to what happened earlier, "Why did you have to come, Manik? Why can't you just stay away from me?"

I close my eyes for a brief second, while taking some long inhales and exhaling as much air as I can to calm my whole being, before closing the app and turning on my side.

I wish I could tell you that I do miss you, I wish I could say that I do sometimes want to be like we were six years ago, but I'm scared Manik, I'm scared of you leaving again, because I won't be able to hold myself together.

There's no one in this whole world who could break me more than you, no one can hurt me, except you.

I feel water building in the corner of my eyes again, but I quickly wipe it and close my eyes again, waiting for the sleep to consume me completely and wake up only once the sun hits the window.

.
.
.

An annoying sound starts playing on an inhuman volume, enough to tear my ears and leave me completely deaf, making me whine and annoyed.

Couldn't just mom wake me up, instead of this annoying sound maker?

I process my own words and my eyes open instantly realising that mom isn't here anymore, so I'll have to wake up on my own like most of the days.

Before putting my feet on the floor, I strech my arm and shut the alarm along with rubbing my both my eyes with the back of my hand and walking to the bathroom carelessly.

I take my own sweet time to do all my morning chores, leaving me with only five minutes to have breakfast, and for a fact I know, I'll have to eat an apple.

Those few minutes pass quickly, and I get ready with my bag for a long journey to school without Navya by side, but as soon as I open the door, someone known as Manik is leaning over his car with black aviators covering his eyes, making him look older than any student of his age.

For the first time ever, I take in his appearance, from his black messy hair to the school uniform adorning his Greek God body until the white air force in his feet, making him look like one of those boys from teen movies.

"If you're done staring, can we proceed?" My eyes get wide and I gasp while biting my tongue for being caught, but I quickly put on my annoyed face, "You wish. I'm just waiting for you to speak and tell me what are you doing here so early in the morning?"

He detached himself from the car and takes some steps forward until he stops two feet away from me, "I told aunty I'll take care of you, so came here to pick you up."

I give him an 'Are you being serious?' look to which he nods his head exagerately.

"Manik, as far as I recall, not even tweleve hours ago I told you that I didn't wanna see your face and here you are again. Are you really that shameless?" I know my words are going to pinch him, but if this the way I can keep him away, so be it.

"Nandini, as far as I recall, I'm wearing aviators and for your kind information, I have a mask to cover my face and nose in the car, so that way you don't have to see my face." He looks at me with an 'I'm so smart look' while I'm sure 'Unbelievable' is written all over mine.

I lift my finger and open my mouth to say something, but like many times, I close it back without uttering anything.

"Ab chalein madam!?" I can sense the mocking part in his question, but I choose to ignore it and rather reply politely, "It's okay. I can walk. I'm not even getting late today, so don't bother."

His grin instantly falls when he realises it's not going to be as easy as he thought to make me come with him, but instead of a witty reply, all I get is, "Can you for once listen to me without an argument!? It's just a matter of some days, then you'll have Navya back."

I look at his serious face, and wait for some time letting his words sink in my brain, but instead of answering, I walk to his car and put my hand on the passenger door's handle.

.
.
.

The whole car ride was silent, without any sound being heard, except our breathing.

It's wasn't as awkward as I thought it'll be, and I was happy about it, until we reached near school and I made Manik drop me a little away so no one thinks something is going on between us.

When I walked into school, followed by Manik on some distance, a girl, with looks of a model, yelled his name and jumped on him out of nowhere.

When I, like everyone else, turned around to look them, Manik was twirling her in the air while showing all his teeth and saying God knows what to her making laugh like a mad woman.

After he placed her down, they both hugged each other, as if they were meeting after hundred years of sepration and walked out of the school side hugging each other.

If he had to leave then why did he even come to school?

"Nandini. Oh, Nandini?" Someone pokes my shoulder breaking my chain of thoughts, to which I shake my head for letting that take over my head.

"Nandini yaar, huya kya hai? Subah se itni chup kyu hai?" I just shake my head in negative, making them sigh, knowing perfectly well I'm not going to say anything.

Only if I knew what to tell them, because I myself don't know what and how to feel about it.

.
.
.

So here you go.

I think, Nandini's melting slowly, what do you think?

And, who's the girl?

Keep smiling :)