Chapter 5

I put the paper aside while wiping my unstoppable tears with the other hand and look at the box placed next to me.

With shaking hands, I pick the first cupcake and bite on it taking a small portion into my mouth.

It just touches my toungue and the bitter taste hits hard on my taste buds, I try to chew it, but not being able I run into the bathroom and spit it in the sink.

Opening the faucet I take water into my mouth and clean the taste as much as I can.

I come back into my room with the bitter still lingering on my toungue and sit on the edge of the bed.

Just one bite and it's so bitter, how would it feel to eat the entire cupcake?

Is this really how Manik felt!?

Should I trust him?

Not being able to decide what to do, I pick the bitter cupcakes box and place it next to the trash bin.

When I turn back, my eyes fall on the white paper, words from the lines written on it start playing in my head again and again.

Not being able to take it, I shut my eyes tightly, only to open them back after a while remembering the sweet cupcakes box.

I sit on the floor and spot it just in the center of my bed, so I strech my arm and take it out.

It looks exactly like the first box. No difference at all.

I sit back on the bed and open it quickly, revealing  decorated cupcakes but this time with letters of sorry and a heart.

The picture's cupcakes.

I pick the first one with the letter 'S' and give a slight bite on it before using my tounge to melt it and relish it's taste.

Just as I eat another bite sweetness spreads everywhere making me close my eyes in utter pleasure.

After eating the first two, I decide to keep the rest for tomorrow, so I place the box on my study table to be able to spot it easily and eat one before going to school.

Before going to the bed, I walk into the bathroom to complete my night chores and after that, I lay on the small yet soft bed and drift into a deep slumber, where I meet the face I can't keep my mind off.

. . . . . . . . . .

When I step inside the college door, I'm met with a worried Aryaman.

Confusion overtakes my features as he bends to check my ankle mumbling lots of 'How is your ankle?' or 'How did it happen?'

My brain plays a flashback reminding me of the yesterday conversation with Dhruv, "Arya, I'm fine. It's nothing."

"But ye huya kaise?" Okay Nandini, you can do this.

"You know na, I'm so clumsy. So I slipped from the stairs while coming down from the library yesterday." He stops checking my ankle and glares at me.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath preparing myself for what's coming ahead, "Dhayan kahaan rehta hai tumhara, Nandini?"

"Wo Arya-" Before I can think of anything else he cuts me, this time rising his voice a bit.

"No Nandini. Tumhe pata hai tum clumsy ho, phir bhi tum apni duniya me khoyi rehti ho." I close my and mentally make a note to beat Dhruv whenever I can.

I open my eyes once I feel two hands cupping my cheeks, "You know I easily get worried about you. So apna dhayan rakha karo, please."

The only thing I can see in his eyes is care, which makes me feel guilty for lieing to him.

I'm sorry Arya.

Not trusting my voice, I nod my head to which he gives me a small smile and takes a step back.

"Chalo, mai tumhe class takk chod deta hoon."

"Arey no, it's not needed, mai chali jaungi. Tum apni class me jaayo, varna late hogaye toh detention mil jayega."

He opens his mouth to protest, but I shake my head and he leaves a sigh mumbling an 'Okay' and 'Take care' before walking to the other side of the building.

I turn around and meet with something hard like a wall, which is non other than Manik's torso.

I should've guessed it.

"What were you doing with that Aryaman?" I raise my eyebrows but shrug and try to walk away.

Keyword: try.

Because he pulls me back to his torso holding my wrist.

"What is your problem Nandini?"

"Huh? Meri problem?" I look at the floor for a second and then look up again, "I'm getting late for class, so let me go."

I try to walk away again, but he pulls me closer, "I won't. First tell me, what were you doing with that Aryaman?"

"And why should I tell you that?" Provoking him is a bad idea, but he needs to know that he holds no position in my life to ask me questions, "You're no one, just a stranger to me, so you hold no right to expect answers from me."

His grip on my arm looses and I take that moment to walk away, leaving him standing on the same position.

Well done Nandini Murthy.

. . . . . . . . . .

Break bell rings loudly, making me sigh in relief.

I haven't been able to focus on anything since this morning and, teachers voices did nothing except hurt my brain, so I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

One good thing that happened today is that Manik didn't come to class.

Strange.

Although, I didn't want to see him after our morning encounter, yet I couldn't stop thinking about him.

But, where the hell is he?

Why do I care about his whereabouts? No, I don't care.

Nandini stop thiking about him.

"Oh madam, utho, canteen nahi chalna?" A voice breaks my trance, making me look up and see that everyone's gone and I'm the only one left along with Shweta.

I pick my bag and shove everything inside, before puting it on my right shoulder and walking out of class.

"Nandu, huya kya hai tujhe? Subah se khoyi hai." I look at Shweta and turn my face, "Kuch nahi bass aise hi."

"Nandu, sab thik hai na?" Not trusting my voice I move my head up and down while she inhales deeply.

We enter the canteen door and pull the chairs of our usual table.

We mostly have the same, so the order has been placed already by my other friends, and by now everyone is shoving up their food.
It takes me no time to join them into it and start eating as much as I can, because I know they will leave no trace of food.

. . . . . . . . . .

Walking home alone is so boring, I miss Navya.

But thank God Navya isn't here or else she wouldn't stop asking me questions about why am I so lost.

Manik.

The reason behind everything.

Aiyappa, kya hoga is ladke ka?

Just because we fought and I said those words, he left the school.

I haven't seen him the entire day.
It's not like I was looking for him-- well maybe a little bit.

Just a little bit.

I stop walking because of his morning words and his yesterday's letter ringing in my head.

I don't realise for how long I've been standing there, until I feel a tug on my shirt.

. . . . . . . . . .

Who do you think it is?

Thanks for reading.