Elijah Mikaelson, Esquire Pt. 1

The wind whipped her hair around as the first snowflake fell, melting quickly on the still-toasty flesh of her palm

The wind whipped her hair around as the first snowflake fell, melting quickly on the still-toasty flesh of her palm. She watched in wonder as the icy flakes fell from above, shivering with excitement when she reminded herself that she was actually truly there in New York City.

"Watch it! Fuckin' bitch," the man growled, shoving into her sideways and sending her flying.

She banged into a large metal trash can, hip first, crying out at the impact.

That's when she realized how right her mother was when she said New York was a whole new world from the slow, easygoing ways of South Carolina, or even her childhood home of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

Rubbing her throbbing hip through her heavy navy wool coat, she spotted a sign for coffee and quickly ducked inside to warm up with a cup of her favorite beverage and nurse her aching side.

When she made her way to the front of the line, the barista didn't smile, instead staring at her as he waited for her to place her order.

"Uh, one please?"

His brows shot up as he leaned over the counter.

"One, what?"

"One coffee..?" she said, shrugging.

The barista pointed to the chalkboard above his head, listing no fewer than thirty coffees.

"One. What."

"Oh," she said softly. "Um.."

"May I recommend the French Vanilla Latte? It's quite delicious, and I think you would enjoy it," came a familiar velvety voice behind her. She felt her cheeks grow warm as she spun around to find the man she'd been in love with since she was a little girl.

"Elijah!" She flung her arms around him and emitted a tiny squeal, her fingers lingering on the forest green wool of his coat.

All of the feelings she had suppressed for the past few years bubbled up to the surface the moment they touched, and for a second they were back in elementary school in Mystic Falls.

"Lovely Y/N, I did not know you were in the city," Elijah smiled against her cheek, holding onto her for a moment longer than necessary.

"Hey, buddy! Can we move the family reunion someplace else?" A gruff man behind them seemed ready to physically push them out of the way, so Elijah slid his credit card on the counter and ordered quickly for them both.

He kept his hand on the small of her back as they waited for their coffee, moving to sit at a tiny table in the crowded shop with their mugs when they were ready.

"I'm staying with Rebekah for the holidays, Elijah. I'm surprised she hasn't told you," she said, blowing the steam from her latte before taking a sip.

"No, she didn't say a word. Although, she has been quite preoccupied lately with the new baby," Elijah admitted.

Y/N nodded, recalling how frazzled her best friend has seemed lately. Rebekah and Marcel had a three month old baby girl, and they were in desperate need of an extra pair of hands. Marcel had wanted to hire a Nanny, but Rebekah was stubborn and insisted on handling everything herself.