Check My Engine

"Uh, when's the last time you had an oil change?" Your sorority sister, Elena, widened her eyes at the flashing light on your dashboard.

"Don't worry about it," you assured her. "Everyone knows you can go tens of thousands of miles over the recommended mileage before you change the oil."

"No.. I'm one hundred percent sure that's not true," Caroline chimed in from the backseat. "Your oil will run out and your engine could catch fire."

You gasped before you began to giggle, pointing at Caroline with a grin.

"You almost had me. Good one, Care."

"No, I heard that before, too. You'd better get it changed before this weekend, Y/N. It would be hard to drive all the way back to Mystic Falls with your engine on fire," Elena added.

"Okay, okay. I'll take care of it," you promised, as you dropped them off at their apartment after class.

You mentally reviewed your schedule for the day, realizing you had a four hour break before your next class. It was more than enough time to get your oil changed, grab something to eat, and get back to campus.

After plugging the closest auto body shop into the GPS and driving a few minutes, you pulled your little red coupe into a spot before heading inside.

The heels of your gray pumps echoed through the small space, and you self-consciously tugged at the hem of your short black wool skirt. Your nose crinkled at the smell of rubber and car exhaust, wondering if anyone was working.

As you made your way towards the register, you were wishing you had been anywhere else but this grimy car shop. Even the tiny, sparsely decorated Christmas tree on the counter looked like it was trying to figure out a way to escape.

After a few minutes, you felt yourself growing impatient, tapping the little bell on the desk a couple times in the hopes that someone would hear.

After one more obnoxiously loud ding, the door to the back swung open.

"Excuse me. Did you need something?" The man who pushed through the door looked at you as if you were nothing more than an insignificant speck of dust, making your cheeks grow hot in anger.

"No, excuse me. I've been standing here for twenty minutes already, and I am on a tight schedule," you told him, your eyes narrowed and your heart racing from a mix of anger and attraction.

The man was absolutely gorgeous, wearing a tight white tee shirt that was rolled at the bicep to showcase the large muscles as they stretched the soft cotton. His chestnut brown hair was brushed back, and his chiseled jaw featured a light stubble that you could easily picture nibbling.

His dark chocolate eyes were watching you with interest, raking over your Y/B/T body hungrily, while the scowl on his face gave you the impression that he hated you on sight.

"Oh, forgive me for messing with your tight schedule, Princess. How silly of me to begin work on another car, before you've even arrived, instead of waiting all day by the door for you." His words were clipped as he watched you disdainfully, spitting his words out at you like venom.

"Oh, whatever. Can I just get my oil changed, please?" You huffed in annoyance, not used to having to wait, and certainly not used to men not falling at your feet.

"Let me guess," he said, his eyes flicking towards the parking lot. "The red Honda Civic?" He arched a brow, and you grew warm under his gaze.

Your eyes dropped and you nodded, your cheeks hot as you drew your bottom lip into your mouth.