Prologue

Alexandria Hunter had always been a solitary creature. Even before she was a vampire she was always one to stay away from large crowds. Immortality was never a difficult lifestyle for Alex. Staying off the grid and away from humans seemed like the perfect life for her. Living for a millennium taught the vampire how to survive, and how to trust her instincts when dealing with vampires and humans alike. Never get too close to humans because you will always outlive them. Never get too close to vampires without knowing their true intentions.

Just like humans, vampires would use others for their own needs. Alex learned through time not to show her identity or gift until a person's true intentions were known. This led to the decision to move around and not stay in one location for too long. Even for a vampire, Alex moved often. She was known as a nomad. Always alone, never trusting, and that's how she liked it.

An advantage of living for so long would be that Alex mastered all she could. Mastering her hobbies, passions, gifts, and thirst. Like few others of her species, Alex fed on the blood of animals rather than humans. Fewer questions asked, no bodies to bury, and no skeletons in the closet. Over the years, Alex was able to help others change their diet; thereby blending in more easily.

There was an art to hunting, how a predator would stalk their prey. Noticing the slightest shift in the wind, or other approaching predators. Hunting became a silent art to Alex. She was quick and calculated. Never making the animal suffer, but showing her appreciation towards the creature for being sacrificed for her own undead life. Being a nomad led Alex to see nature in a new light. It showed her how everything has value in life. She could lay on a tree's limbs and listen to the little scurry of the smaller animals, or late at night listen to the subtle flap of an owl's wings. She could listen to nature's symphony for all eternity if the world allowed, but fate seemed to have other plans for Alex. Even if she wasn't ready for them.