[2] The Landfill

Describe the most untidy place you know:

Colors of blue and orange streaked the sky. As he stood admiring the view up above, a strong pungent odor drifted pass, making it's way through his nose. Immediately, he breathed out as fast as he could in effort to avoid the rancid smell lingering in the air. His stomach churned as the smell made him feel nauseous. The foul smell reeked the air, suffocating every breath taken in. He pulled his lime green shirt over his nose in attempt to filter out the putrid smell. The smell in the air overpowered everything, taking over of what once was the fresh, clean air. The air was now toxified with the scent. To find the source of the smell, he slowly turned around, not prepared for what he was about to see next.

His eyes confronted mountains of garbage which loomed above. The mountains where endless, as they were crammed closely together acting like a barrier, blocking the the breathtaking view of the sky completely. Bright yellow bulldozers drove up the mountains of garbage in order to flatten out the rubbish. Rays of sunlight violently shone down below, burning his skin. Beads of sweat dripped down his forehead. The stench from the landfill clung to his clothes. The birds that flew above, their squaks echoing through the mountains of trash. These birds swooped low, picking up bits of waste scattered all across the dirt ground. He ducked in fear that these birds would mistake him for being part of the waste below. There was discarded rotted food all over the ground, waiting to decayed or picked up by the birds.

A strong gush of wind blew through, sending rancid, contaminated waste flying everywhere. It was a tornado of garbage. In desperate attempt to shield himself, He flung his arms across his face as the movement from the rubbish was uncontrollable. The vigorous winds whipped his hair back and forth, along with the garbage being flung from place to place. As the wind slowly died down, his eyes began to adjust what was ahead of him. The smell intensified. It was unbearable. Now the shape of the mountains was gone. The garbage now dispersed all over the ground, ready to be disintegrated by the winds.

Word count: 373