Voltron Christmas Special 2018

How do you expect yourself to sleep on the night of Christmas Eve? You can’t because you know whenever you wake up the next morning, there’ll be fresh cocoa sitting in the kitchen, dozens of wrapped presents under the decorated tree, and snow raining down outside the house. So of course Lance had been sitting up all night in his bed, just waiting. He kept glancing over at the clock frantically.
11:00pm
12:00am
1:00am
2:00am
3:00am
4:00am
December 25
5:00am
If he remembered his family's traditions after all these years, he would always jump out of bed at exactly five in the morning and run into the living room, where the tall green tree coated in artificial snow sat there, almost touching the high ceilings with mountains of shiny wrapped gifts just waiting underneath it. It was almost like they were all screaming at him to open them. One year, even, when he was 6 he accidentally opened all of Veronica’s gifts. You could imagine how confused he was to see pretty pink colored barbie dolls and clothes.
But this morning felt different...Not only had he done that years ago, but he wouldn’t be celebrating the same way. This year, he wanted to be with his second family--in other words, his team. But when he got up to go in the living room, no one was to be seen. They were probably all still sleeping. It would be inconsiderate of him to wake them all up at 5am just to open Christmas presents. He did make sure to get everyone something, stuff they would actually enjoy. Though...he was a little bias towards someone. He couldn’t help but get that person two gifts. One, he couldn’t wrap.

Lance stepped into the living room, dark half-circles under his eyes, the bottoms of his blue pajama pants dragging against the floor. There was a soft glow of light coming from the kitchen, and just like every year in Cuba, a warming smell of hot cocoa. Lance squinted as his eyelids hit the light, letting his pupils adjust. When they did, a figure was standing at the kitchen counter. When the person turned around, Lance was really surprised to see it was Shiro. And at the dining table was Hunk and Pidge. But no Keith anywhere.
“Oh hey guys...when did you wake up?” Lance said quietly, rubbing his eyes.
“About an hour ago” Pidge answered, staring at her phone. Hunk seemed just as tired as Lance was.
“An hour ago?? How…?”
Lance looked over at Shiro, who handed him a steaming cup of hot cocoa. Lance smiled softly and took the cup into his hands. “Thanks” he said.
“Where’s Keith?”
“He’s still asleep. I doubt he even slept last night.” Shiro sighed, coming over to the dining table and sitting down with the three. Lance reached up softly and touched the marks on his cheeks. Remembering Allura’s death was one of the hardest things for him to do, but instead of dwelling over like he’d done the past few years he just...smiled.
It was quiet in the room for a few moments before Lance looked down at his reflection in the cup and whispered. “Do you guys..um...think Keith ever celebrated Christmas?” It was an embarrassing question for Lance to ask, but for some reason he had been thinking about it all morning.
When Lance looked up at everyone, they all looked kind of shocked, like he had just killed someone. Shiro was the first to answer him--probably would have been the only one to answer him.
“No, he never did..” he said in a regretful tone. “It’s not like he even had family to celebrate it with. Whenever I tried to convince him, he never would. ‘Said he wouldn’t understand even if he tried.”
“That…” Lance began, looking away for a moment. His eyes locked onto Keith’s leather gloves lying on the kitchen counter, neatly folded on top of each other. He looked back to the others. “We can’t just...sit here and do nothing.”
Pidge looked up with a determined gaze and stood from the table. “Well” she started. “Then why don’t you surprise him, Lance?”
“What?? How? Would he even like that?”
“Of course he would!” Hunk exclaimed. “We can, like, get him a cute little Santa hat, make him some hot chocolate, and--”
“Hunk” Pidge interrupted, placing her hand over his mouth. “Look, Lance. Why don’t we just decorate the living room a little bit, nothing too elaborate, make him some food and y’know, let him open his gift. You did get him one right?”
“Yeah, yeah! Of course I did!” Lance shouted back, waving his hands in front of him in surrender almost as if Pidge would attack him any moment now. She was really intimidating when she wanted to be.
“Oh by the way” Lance added, “There is a mistletoe right?” It took a few moments for Pidge and Hunk to process what Lance had just said before their eyes grew wide open. “Lance...are you going to kiss him?”
Lance’s eyes dashed from the two to Shiro nervously, his face as red as a beet.  
“I..um…” Lance muttered. “Maybe?” he answered, a bit unsure of himself.
“In that case, oh hell yeah we got a mistletoe” Pidge replied with a smirk directed at Hunk and Shiro. Shiro then clapped his hands together with a smile across his face. “Alright then, I guess we’d better get started. Hunk, I assume, would be better at decorating. Like Pidge said before, nothing too crazy. Keith’s not that kind of person. Pidge--” He stopped. “You can do what you want”
“Sweet”
“Lance, you need to make sure he knows this was all you, so make him something”
“Like what?”
Shiro shrugged and began to disappear into the living room after Hunk. “I don’t know. Dress nice or something, you look awful”
Wooow, thanks.