Chapter 1 - "The Princess Who Ran"

As the Princess of the Ghost Tribe, there was nothing Qiao Xin feared. Since a young age, her curriculum and training regimen had been more extensive than that of a normal immortal child of the realm. Just because she was a royal did not mean she was not punished for her failures. Her guardians saw to that, the lot of them. From putting her under the charge of High Generals to Crimson Royal Guards, the Queen of the Ghost Tribe did not let her training slack in the least. Qiao Xin lost count of the number of times she had been locked up and had to find a way to escape her punishment. It became a game, a habit. Then it became her life.

If she were not a royal, would life have been easier?

Qiao Xin knew she had been caught in the act, and the repercussions would not be light. The threads binding her were made from thousand-year-old silkworms of the Fox Realm. Hundreds of fibers wrapped around her body like a cocoon all thanks to High God Bai Zhen, the 4th King of the Fox Realm. There was no escape. Qiao Xin had to admit defeat, even if it was only momentary.

Now caught between two powerful men, Qiao Xin could only stand in silence as they negotiated terms. Listening to the men exchange words of politeness while she struggled was infuriating enough, but they added insult to the injury by ignoring her existence entirely. Her hostile glare elicited no reaction. General Zhao, who was worse than a silent monk of the realm, was livid when he arrived at the doorstep of Bai Zhen's Fox Den. The General's dark aura was never hidden; no doubt the High God Bai Zhen noticed, but he did not even raise a brow at the fact. General Zhao never liked to bow to other kinds, especially the relaxed King of the Fox Tribe. They were total opposites in every regard.

Bai Zhen, the 4th King, was a beautiful man, she had to admit. His beauty was known throughout the realms. It was said, only his sister, the Crown Princess of the Celestial Clan could compete with his ethereal aura. What made Foxes fascinating was their hold on vast regions of immortal land that continued to expand to this day. Unlike other tribes who sought power through other means, Foxes were one of the rare few who could gather followers without using threats or violence. Admired and envied by all, they did not interfere with other realms' politics or disputes.

In contrast, General Zhao exuded the masculinity of a man who had gone through hell and earth to become who he was. Don't get her wrong, the General was attractive in a rough sort of way. Even women from other realms were known to gulp when they first met him. He was admired by many and in his early days. The Queen had him train her Crimson Royal Guards, consisting of the best female warriors. Countless warriors had tried to catch his attention, but he looked at no other than Xiu Yin, the daughter of late General Kai, who died protecting her own sister during an attack on Ziming Palace. Stories of his devotion to the lost love that never had the chance to spark were known amongst the warriors till this day. Whispered among his admirers, it only enhanced his attractiveness to those who hoped for the young General to look in their direction one day.

Speaking of direction, General Zhao finally glanced at her. He must have caught her disgruntled glare. His disapproving eyes spoke plainly: he did not like to run such errands. And she was his errand. Turning to Bai Zhen, the General bowed, "Thank you for your hospitality. I hope our Princess did not cause any further trouble in the last few days."

"General, the Ghost Princess was a delightful guest, but due to her habits, my people had to keep her secure while I was away. I hope you understand," King Bai Zhen gave them a graceful smile, as though they were talking about their next tea date. Was there nothing that could rattle this High God, she wondered. He was not at all distressed by her appearance within his kingdom, even offering to bring her peach wine while she was confined in his trap.