Chapter 4 - "The General's Weakness"

Bái Zhù Sēnlín (White Pillars Forest), Ghost Realm

Hopping off the clouds, the Baize Beast landed on top of white rock amongst the vast number of white pillars, blanketing the luscious greenery of the deciduous forest. Located within the northern edge of the Ghost Realm, the ancient Bái Zhù Sēnlín (白柱森林, White Pillars Forest) came into existence 100,000 years after the eight realms were newly formed. Legend had it, before the first Clan War, the northern region had been an ivory gorge of high mountains, with transparent, sparkling water veins running through the inviting landscape. At the dawn of night, if one flew high enough, a liquid of heavenly blue stars could be seen from above. The bright water illuminated the gorge with flickering blue luminescence; depending on where the true heart of the water vein lay, the properties were known to enhance one's cultivation. During those times, the region had been home to new and young species of ghouls and beasts. The high gorge mountain was a perfect place to cultivate for powerless creatures that wished to obtain a human form.

Then one day, mysteriously, the white mountain range was no more. Left behind as shattered remnants, the white stone pillars scattered the landscapes for miles and miles, forever covering the precious water veins which used to give hope to the beasts that wished to experience a higher life.

A powerful battle must have taken place on that unfortunate day, the ancients said, yet there had been no eyewitness, no residual auras to speak of. But rumors remained -- countless stories of demons and monsters, of heavenly punishment, persisted because a legend is never without its speculators.

Scanning the area, Baize took a sniff of the air. The beast still couldn't sense what he sought. In the midst of mindless agitation, frustration, and fear, his senses were compromised.

Where could she be?

"Irritated" was probably an understatement -- he was infuriated. He would not have it! Being manipulated in such a manner! But he couldn't deny that manipulated he had been. He was still angry, but it wasn't just anger this time. If only it were slashes from a blade or burns from fire magic, he would not have had to feel. He was a warrior, a general, a beast who had endured more than his fair share of heavenly trials. Heaven forbid, he was not a man to be easily trifled with. But she had targeted, taken aim like the true warrior she was, and directly, without holding back, shot. She must have relished the power of her words which had made him pause, made him think, made him wonder...

But...that door was locked. He was sure that it was. He had tried -- tried so hard to not let it be known, even to himself, that there was a key.

Was it obvious to everyone or just her alone?

Weakness...she had said. The beast within roared.

Weakness, a word he abhorred, despised. A word he could hardly utter with reference to himself. There was nothing he could do, however. He was cornered the moment the two words that could stop even his bloodlust -- or at times ignite it -- had been uttered. If any harm had come to the one weakness he couldn't accept...

Blood rushing, heart pounding, he flew above the white of the pillars, his large white paws lightly touching the top edges of the rock, propelling him forward. His blood orange eyes sharpened, all nine of them casting downward, searching every nook and corner of the valley below.

Searching, for the weakness he couldn't help but continue to deny...

***Flashback***

During times of peace, promotions were scarce. The chance to be recognized, to be acknowledged by the higher class had become limited due to the lack of major missions that could highlight one's skills amongst others. So when Zhao Yan had heard of the many instances of wild beasts acting out of character, and the fact that some had gone missing altogether, he had been ecstatic. Not because he enjoyed their suffering in the least, no, he was not a cruel man by nature, but it had been too long since there had been special hard-earned missions with a silver lining of mystery to solve.