Reminiscence 11 - "The Rogue Who Wasn't"

Breathe...just breathe... A few more steps and she'd be back in her chambers and all would be well. Just a few minor halls to pass... Cautiously but purposefully, she walked through Ziming Palace, greeted by her warriors, ignoring the exhaustion, ignoring the pain that ran through her. She regretted coming back before her body had had time to heal. It was a terrible miscalculation; she had really thought her ride back would be sufficient for her body to recover. But there was no time to regret her decision now, she had to keep moving. Just a few more steps...

But bad luck would have it that General Yang was waiting for her and approached as soon as he saw her.

He greeted her with a bow. "Your Highness, may I seek your audience in private."

Yan Zhi wished she could decline, but the look on his face was determined. She would have to prevail for a short time longer. With a wave of her hand, the warriors who were present were dismissed. She took a controlled deep breath before addressing the General: "General Yang, what is so urgent you have to seek me out at this time?" Yan Zhi's voice was even and she maintained her posture. Barely.

His brows furrowed. "Your Highness, I am aware that the young princess is fond of her savior, and I do not wish to interfere with your affairs. However, I don't believe having a Celestial remaining here is acceptable at this time."

"He has given his intel, has he not?"

"That is true. He has provided everything we wanted, all the more reason there is no further need for his assistant." The General, forever suspicious of the other tribes, was a true loyalist, but remained conservative in his way of thinking, especially when it came to Celestials. She couldn't fault him: their people had endured so much at their hands.

"General Yang, there is more...," but her words were cut off by no other than her Phantom, who spun her around and pulled her into his arms.

"You're finally back! I've done as you instructed. Everything is prepared."

"Zi Lan...," before Yan Zhi could find her wits to react to his actions, he had seized her lips. His ravenous kiss made her heart thunder, but it also absorbed her physical pain, as heated desire replaced the aches, allowing her muscles to shudder and relax within his embrace. With no will or strength to resist, her knees soon grew weak, but he held her steady in his arms.

He lifted his mouth slightly, his hot breath against hers: "Yan Zhi...put your arms around me," he whispered softly. Flushed colors rose to her cheeks. Her mind was in a daze, she did what he asked, wrapping her arms around his neck. He lifted her up and strode away from General Yang, with measured, long steps. She realized too late what he had coerced her to do.

"How dare you interrupted us!" General Yang roared, rushing in front of them to block their path.

"Good evening, General Yang," Zi Lan said cheerfully, and gave his most charming smile, which must antagonize the General even more. "I must apologize for not noticing you there." His attention returned to her, his eyes dancing with bemusement.

"Damn you..." the General snarled, his body tensed.

Unfazed, Zi Lan looked back at the General. "Please excuse us," he said, his voice full of feigned remorse, "I've already prepared a bath for Her Highness, she is in dire need of rest after a long day."

"Celestial," General Yang growled. He looked like he was ready to rip Zi Lan's throat out.

Despite the obvious hostility, Zi Lan remained calm and composed as though they were talking about the weather. "I fear the water might cool before she has the chance to enjoy it - Her Highness deserves her pleasure," he responded to the fuming man, then turned his gaze back to her.