Chapter 2 - "The Queen Who Mourn"

Valley of the Moths, Residence of High God Ruo Tzu - 20,000 years ago

The creature's feet stomped, white ears flickered, upper lips curled in heavy breathing, its sharp gaze dark, alert. Impulsively, her hands reached out, wanting to bring solace to the beast; no doubt it had seen more than its fair share of hell. But the creature snorted. Body tensing, side pushing against the bamboo stall, its tail made quick flaps before clamping down between its hindquarters. All the indications of fear and frightful memories were contained in its eyes. What it had gone through was horrific, she could tell from the still visible scars left by harsh cuts. With burn scars on the left side of the beast's face, the once magnificent creature cowered in fear, desperate to avoid any physical contact, distrustful of the world that had brought it harm.

How High God Rou Tzu of the Ghost Realm had saved it was a mystery. He hadn't told her the full story, she knew but didn't push him for further details. The beast, Qian Li Ma (千里馬, Thousand Miles Horse), was a rare find indeed. This species of ivory colored horse was thought to have been extinct for 200,000 years. Its smooth solid body had been covered in bloody cuts, she could tell by the slash markings that still marred the once beautiful coat. Who could have committed such an unimaginable deed? 

Its powers and skills were sought after by those who wished to tame the powerful beast. The creature could travel a thousand Li without effort. According to legend, as a familiar, Qian Li Ma would always bring victory to any owner it wished to serve. A blessing to the leader of the realms it chose them as its master.

Yan Zhi had wanted him from the moment her eyes set upon the forgotten beast from eons ago. Retreating slowly out of the stall so that the horse would not be agitated by a sudden movement, she turned to High God Rou Tzu. "What happened to him?" she asked, her eyes never leaving the creature, whose gaze remained sullen.

"Poachers...worst of their kind. They bled him repeatedly for heavens know how many years, and sold the blood to those who wanted his powers but were unworthy. Worse than any known demons, the vile creatures," he answered softly, containing his rage beneath serene composure. "Bottom feeders of the realms, taking pleasure in exploiting the weak for profit."

The lover of all creatures, the soft-spoken High God may be an Elder of the Ghost Tribe, but Yan Zhi could tell from the first moment they met that he was not originally from that realm. His language was always gentle, his posture unthreatening. Only a certain person could rattle his nerves. Though powerful in magic, he was a fighter, not warrior, and had no wish to be one. He was as much of a mystery as the beast inside the bamboo stall. 

The unusual High God made the choice to reside there. His powers were largely unknown but she knew firsthand he was an expert in medicinal skills. There was nothing he couldn't treat, given the many occasions, she had to seek his help for her injuries. He had been the creator of the elixirs for her internal injuries during her training days to get to the Elders' valley. His home was filled with injured creatures of all kinds, his shelves full of valuable herbs and rare ingredients are known to be extinct in other realms.

The most fascinating find was behind his residence--a hidden hot spring, where he planted medicinal herbs: food for rare luminescent fungi. The fungi attached themselves to the herbs, feasting on the medicinal roots and releasing healing essence into the earth. This allowed the spring in the surrounding area to soak the properties from the roots and fungi and the water glowed at night, changing color into red, yellow, orange, green, and blue. Wǔ Yánsè Quán Shuǐ (五颜色泉水, Spring of Five Colors), as the Elder called it, could treat any type of injury, but it depended on the concentration of the type of herbs in the soil at any given time as indicated by the spring's color.