Chapter 2

Usually I wake up to sunlight and warmth. Or at least something soft. But who gives experiments comfortable accommodations, am I right.

Slamming into a wall usually wakes most things up though.

Now that whatever it was that put me to sleep (probably chloroform) (i listen to humans a lot, okay it's interesting) had worn off, I was much more aware and uncomfortable. The bag didn't help, it reminded me of when I was young and in a breeders home. I was scrawny. I still am, I guess.

Thankfully, the bag was weak and broke apart easily. I suppose they changed it.

As soon as I got out of the bag, I tried to center myself. Find my position.

I didn't like my position.

I was in a room, big enough to house maybe fifty humans comfortably, lined with tables and shelves. Every shelf and table had cages on top, filled mostly with rats, guinea pigs, and cats. There were a few dogs and birds here and there, but not many.

In my cage, there were two bowls and a shallow depression with sand. I wrinkled my nose. It was very stuffy in the room.

Outside of my cage I could hear lots of squeaks and howls, interspersed with hisses and growls. Seems like no one liked the accommodations.

Of course, the longer I stayed still, the more I allowed the senses to gather information. And wow, this information I did not like.

The room was rank with fear. If I didn't know better, I would say that the building had been built out of it, it was that strong. Alongside the stiff smell of fear sat a metallic scent of blood and chemicals. Not as strong, but still there.

And then of course, the detestable smell of humans. I mean, some of them smell OK, but there's always that grease and trashy smell that never. Leaves. And it was there in that house of horrors. With the fear and blood and unknown chemicals and other fluids.

I tried to ignore it as a groomed myself, but I found it really hard. I swear, it was already sinking into my fur. I was sure that I was going to relapse into stress grooming.

That was my last thought before the alarms rang.