Chapter 12

I shuddered in the chair. Was I having a premonition? He looked exactly the same. He sat down in the swiveling chair nearby.

"You can call me Mitchell. " he said with a kind smile. He opened the cupboard and asked,

"You must be a-medium?" I nod and he grabs a gown and hands it to me.

"Can you point me to a bathroom?" I ask.

"You can change right here. I'll leave." he turns around and gently closes the door behind him. I slip off my jumpsuit and fold it up. I put it on the counter and step into the uncomfortable gown. I lay back into the chair and wait until he comes back.

I didn't understand it. Was I psychic? I was so confused by the whole thing. Maybe the tests would explain it a little more. Soon, there was knock at the door and Dr. James walked into the room. He grabs a small plastic box and sets it on the table by me. He pulls out two cords and attaches them to my temples with small gauze bandages. He plugs the cords into a a box, similar to a remote. It has a few switches and a tiny screen.

He sticks an needle into my inner elbow and I see it runs through tubes and ends in a small container. He draws my blood and sticks a label across the top. He comes to stand next to me and says,

"Okay Anna. We're ready to start. Please, just relax." He flips one of the switches and everything goes black.

I am sitting on a beach. It's quickly getting dark outside, but there are several lamps stuck in the sand. I look down to see I'm wearing a bikini, more skin then I'm used to showing. I cross my arms over my stomach and decide to go swimming. I look around to make sure no one is around and hurry into the water. It's cold but I dive under. When I rise to the surface I can see a lighthouse light in the distance. There is a familiar looking boat not far away. I start to swim towards it and see a dark figure standing in the bow. As I get closer I can see more clearly. It's the scene from my dream.

I flip myself into the boat, nearly capsizing.

"You!" I yell, pointing at the woman. She flips off her hood and and takes a step towards me. Staring into her eyes, I lose control. Punching and kicking, she begins to fall backwards. Flailing in the water, she finally comes to the top. There is something floating next to her, it almost looks like a mask. Her face has changed. I recognize it from somewhere. She wipes the water off of her face and grabs the edge of the boat.

"Anna, it's me. It's your mother."