Chapter 14

I've been running for what seems like forever. Ahead, I see a strip of light. Sprinting towards the sign of life, I become out of the breath as I approach a door. I reach for a door handle, but it doesn't seem to have one. I back away, confused. Why would Mitchell send me here if it was a dead end? When I hear noises on the other side of the door, I start to feel trapped. It's too dark to see much of anything, but I can barely make out a wooden board crossed across the door. Anxiety taking over, I kick the board creating a slight crack. Filled with a slight sliver of hope, I continue slamming into the feeble wood. It falls to the dusty floor and the door creaks open. I step outside, the light blinding. 6 men dressed in black stand in a half-circle, guns pointed, surrounding me. One yells, "Jacobson Lake Police! Put your hands behind your head!" In a haze, I do what he says. He holsters his gun, and runs over to handcuff me. Where have I heard that before? Jacobson Lake. Jacobson Lake. Remembering my dream, I now realize everything else lead up to this moment.

Jacobson Lake. The nice part of town. Our family never went there. But when my mother died, my brother insisted we bury her there. Jason scrounged up the money and had a fancy stone made. Every weekend for a year after she died Jason and I would bring flowers to her grave. I haven't been there in years. I needed to go there now.

Suddenly, disturbing my thoughts, the police officer announced,

"Anna Sodosky, your under arrest for the murder of your mother Janie Sodosky."