Part Nine

Everyone, people I didn't even know, kept coming up to me.

        "Is it true that you and Eric are dating?" they'd ask. "Why would you like him? He's a jerk." "Are you just dating him because he's a Dauntless leader?" They'd even go as far as "you're such a little whore Alice. You're just with him to get ahead in initiation."

My brain was absorbing every word they said like a sponge, and I couldn't do anything about it. Even my family bombarded me with questions!

I didn't feel comfortable being somewhere where one room away, my own parents were gossiping about me. When the clock struck midnight and I was still awake in bed, staring into nothingness, I decided to go. I changed out of my pjs and into a tank and a pair of jeans. I pulled on my combat boots and left to Eric's apartment.

I raised my knuckles to the door and knocked way too eagerly considering the time. The door swung open open by a lazy-eyed Eric with messy bed-head.

"Alice," he yawned, "what are you doing here?"

"I'm really sorry to have woken you," I stepped into his apartment, he shutting the door, "but I just couldn't take all the murmuring, all the whispers, all the teasing"

"Did I make a mistake?"

"No..I'm glad you did. It's just....I want to punch everyone in the face for not minding their own damn business!"

"Ignore them. Soon, they'll be over the whole thing"

"You're right"

"Of course I am. I came from Erudite you see"

"Yeah, but you transferred for a reason"

"Are you calling me stupid?"

"Hey, you said it"

He chuckled and removed his shirt before climbing back into his large bed. As I watched his large muscular body in nothing but a pair of tight boxers sprawled on his bed, I craved him. Yet, I was much too exhausted for anything.

Eric patted the spot beside him. "Come on baby"

Baby. Baby. Baby!

I turned my back to him and stripped down to my bra and panties. I heard a snicker behind me.

"What?"

"You've been shopping?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Well Alice, the last time we were together, you were wearing underwear fit for a ten year old girl. Now here you are in lace"

I felt my cheeks burn.

"It was Jessi's idea. She thought I should dress more maturely"

"Remind me to thank her"

I picked up Eric's shirt off the hardwood floor and slipped it on my own body.

"Aw, how cute"

I playfully punched his arm as I climbed into bed beside him.