Part Two

I followed a collection of shouts and cheers all the way to the pit. There was a small crowd of people circled around something. I ran over to get a better look as to what was going on. In the center was Sutter, and Jake beating the living shit out of him.

"Sutter!" I shouted.

His eyes briefly shifted over to mine before Jake directed a punch towards his already bloody face, sending a roar throughout the crowd. I am either the best friend on Earth or the stupidest. I pushed everyone out of my way.

"Hey Jake!"

He turned around and I punched him square in the jaw. I shook the pain out of my hand, then kneed him in the most sensitive area in a man's body. He went crashing down on the solid ground. But that didn't buy me enough time to grab Sutter and run away. It didn't buy me any time actually because Jake was back on his feet within a millisecond.

"You little bitch"

It only took one punch for my nose to start bleeding. Jake held onto my arm tightly, preventing me from falling, so he could continue to use me as a human punching bag.

Hunched over, taking blows to my stomach, every punch made it harder and harder to breathe. I imagined thousands of other scenarios that I would rather experience than this.

"What's wrong bitch? Not so strong now huh?" Jake laughed evilly.

I yanked my arm from his sweaty palm and kicked my leg up towards his side. Unfortunately, Jake caught it before it could do any damage. He yanked my leg, putting me on my back. I hit my head on the cement and BAM! It was all dark.

I opened my eyes to harsh light.

"Ugh where am I?" I groaned

"Infirmary" I heard Jessi's familiar voice answer.

"What happened?"

"Jake knocked you out cold." Asshole. "But don't worry, he got what he deserved"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Well, I made it just in time to see you pass out, but you will never ever believe what happened next!"

"Go on"

"Mr. Sadistic Dickbrain-"

"I think that might actually be his legal name" I joked.

We shared a quick laugh before Jessi continued. "He came out of fucking nowhere and beat up Jake!"

"No way"

"Yes way"

"How is he?"

"Look for yourself"

I followed Jessi's pointer finger to a body lying a few beds over. He barely looked like himself with a black eye and completely swollen face. A smile crept on my face. I didn't think about the fact that Eric might have possibly defended me, but of the pure sight of Jake's estate.

"Come on, let's go to dinner"

Jessi grabbed my hand and hauled me out of bed. I let out a painful grunt as she did so.

I sat down at my usual spot with all my friends.

Right as I was about to stab into my steak, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Sutter.

"Hey" I smiled meekly.

Broken nose and busted up lip. Not bad considering he'd been completely wrecked. 

"I just wanted to say thanks for helping me out earlier." I could tell he felt embarrassed thanking a girl for protecting him. "It was pretty brave, yet stupid, of you"

"No problem Sutter"

He smiled shyly and returned to his seat.

After dinner, as everyone was making their way out of the dining hall, I saw Eric wander into a hall. I snuck away from Jessi and crept up behind Eric. I put my hand on his back to get his attention. He spun around and looked at me.

"Singer, what do you want?" he growled.

"Uh I was just wondering if it was true"

"If what was true?"

"That you beat up Jake after I.....passed out"

I felt weak just saying that.

"Yeah, it's true"

"Why'd you do it?"

"Why'd you stand up for Sutter?" he asked defensively. Had I offended him some way? Bipolar ass. "Is it because you're doing him?"

I sent a sharp slap at his cheek.

"How dare you?" I shouted. "No, I am not doing him! Just because you're a Dauntless leader doesn't mean you can go around running your mouth!"

"Actually, yes it does!"

I turned to leave, but he turned me around and grabbed a hold of both my wrists. He leaned in so close I could feel his hot breath on my face.

"And if you ever fucking strike me again, I'll make you wish Jake did more than knock you out cold"

I clenched my jaw to prevent myself from cussing him out.

"Don't touch me" I spoke through gritted teeth as I yanked my hands free.