Part Eleven

Maybe some things were just meant to happen in order to keep the world in order, to keep it afloat. And maybe this was one of those things.

Eric wouldn't even stand in the same room as me, too repulsed to breathe the same air, unless he absolutely had to. But I was sort of the same. Looking at him just made me even more depressed.

Every night, I lay on the net and stare up at the sky.

What could have come out from our relationship? Or was it just bound to end in tears and full-fleshed anger? I wanted nothing more than to just fling myself over the chasm and meet the cold, violent end I deserve.

I had made my way to the infirmary to talk to Leyna.

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while. Guess that's a good thing though" she greeted.

"I came to ask you for a favor"

"What is it?"

"Do you have something that will help me....sleep?" I inquired embarrassingly.

She turned and put her hand on her hip, eyeing me extremely closely.

"Have you been having trouble sleeping Alice?"

I nodded.

"How come? Is something troubling you?"

"No! I just....seem to be having a really hard time getting to sleep"

She left for a few seconds then returned with a large vile.

"This is sure to help you sleep. All you need is a small sip. Do not drink all of it, okay?"

"Mhm"

I took the glass from her hand, staring at the light blue fluid inside.

"Thank you Leyna"

"No problem." Her eyes awkwardly shifted around the room. "Let's just keep this between us, okay?"

"Promise"

"Now, get going before anyone becomes suspicious"

"Thanks again"

I exited the infirmary to find Eric walking in my direction. Oh no.

My hair was a frizzy, untamed mess and I had bags under on my eyes. Hopefully they weren't too prominent. Maybe he won't notice that I looked like shit.

I hid the vile behind my back and kept my head down as he walked past. Just as I thought, he hadn't noticed me, I heard his voice.

"What's that?"

"Pardon?"

"What are you hiding behind your back?"

He took a step to look but I moved away.

"Nothing"

Even while talking, I didn't look into his eyes. I was so fearful I'd burst out crying if I did.

"I can obviously see you're hiding something"

"It's none of your business"

I couldn't look at any part of his face. He was too perfect.

He turned around and left without another word. I ran. I don't know why, it just felt like the safe thing to do.