Part Fifteen

"How's it going?"

I turned to look at Four. He sat down on the stone beside me, his legs dangling over the edge just like mine. I felt tiny prickles of water from the chasm hit my bare legs.

"Oh fine, I guess"

"You're nervous about tomorrow aren't you?"

"Of course not! Why would I?"

"Are you afraid the test might tell you you're not meant for Dauntless?"

I sighed, "yes"

"I'd be surprised if you got anything other than Dauntless. You were definitely meant for this faction. You're brave, strong, tough, cunning, everything Dauntless values."

"Thank you"

"No problem"

Four was right. I was meant for this faction. Four was smart, he knew what he was talking about, right?

I opened my eyes to greet the testing room once again. Everything seemed hazy for a second, but the next, it was gone. I looked over at the administrator who was typing madly on the computer, a vein on her forehead popping out. She looked over at me with a horrid expression.

"What?"

"Something went wrong"

"What? What do you mean something went wrong?"

"Uh...." she dragged.

She ran her hand through her long curly brown hair.

"Tell me! What faction did I get?"

"Uh..."

She looked down at her shiny red shoes.

"Don't just stand there!"

"You're test said that you got Dauntless-"

"So what's the problem?"

"-and Erudite.....and Amity"

"Wait, what? You're joking right?"

"No"

"But it's impossible to get three results! And why Amity?" Her head snapped up at me. "No offense"

"There's a thing called Divergent"

There's that word again. This is what Eric was talking about. He never mentioned they got three results on their aptitude test though...

"How do you know about that? You're from Amity"

"I transferred from Erudite"

"Oh"

"It's dangerous to be-"

"Yeah, yeah yeah, I know"

Eric told me what they did with all the Divergents. And I definitely wasn't looking to get killed any time soon.

"Go home. And remember, don't tell anyone"

"Wait, what am I supposed to do at the Choosing Ceremony?"

"Pick whatever feels right"

Whatever feels right. Whateverfeelsright.

Those three little words echoed in my head the entire train ride back to the compound. I let everybody jump before me for a reason I did not know. Maybe I just wanted to be alone for a second. I stood on the ledge and jumped down into the gaping hole, darkness swallowing me. The thick net caught me. As soon as I glanced up, I met a pair of pale green eyes. Eric. Probably the last person I wanted to see. He extended his arm for me hold on to. I placed my hand in his, feeling his calluses scrap my palm.