Chapter 3

AFTER A MONTH

Sitting on the softest bed, I stared at the white wall in front of me. The abyss was so enticing and so vindictive that kept me locked tight.

The memory was still fresh into my brain, even if it was only a month ago. During this time, the truth did settle in, but the pain only increased.

Daniel tried to cheer me up with my favourite things, but everything was faded. It was like something inside of me had changed; it was like I could never be happy again.

I began losing my will to live.

The only thing that replayed was that day.

It started with happy smiles and laughs. My pack had known my parent's death anniversary and wanted me to remember them with happiness and into a place that they loved to go.

I also remember that I had this wary feeling... I couldn't explain it, I even told my Beta, however, he told me that I was just missing my parents.

I should have known, I should had trusted my gut, I should had stayed, then this wouldn't had happened.

The guilt was deadly and the thoughts passing through me were dangerous.

The door opened in the exact time that I was about to do something foolish.

I heard Daniel's whisper. "Eva..."

After few moments, I felt the spot next to me dip. I was still staring at the white wall where I remembered my nightmares. Endless nights, I stared at the same spot replaying the same dreadful movie.

When I didn't make any attempt to acknowledge him, he began, "It's been a month, Eva. A month since...since they died. I am sorry, Eva, but life keeps moving. You have me..."

Outside, I may seem unmoving like a statue, but inside my raging feeling kept tearing me apart. The screams surrounding me were ear-deafening and the cries of my wolf even louder.

Agony is what I felt inside, and I wanted it all to stop.

Daniel continued. "You know you have me, right, Eva? Eva, I have been thinking and everyone from my pack agrees. You have known my family for years and I have known yours. What I am trying to say, Eva, is that we should get married."

My eyes wide as I turned my head to look at him. Pure shock countered my face as I saw his determinate face.

The only thing I could utter was, "What?"

Daniel uttered, "Will you marry me?"

My instinct was to sit straighter and move away from him, as I could not still believe what he had just said. I could not see any ounce of a joke on his face. The silence started to creep as I tried to assess the situation.

I whispered, "No."

Daniel's face was tormented as he looked at me with those hounded eyes. He didn't give me time to say anything else as he held my hands in his tight like I was about to fly away.

Daniel uttered with so much love, "Evangeline, I always had strong feelings for you, probably since I saw you for the first time. Even with so much pain, you are so strong. The strongest woman that I know. I don't want to marry you out of pity. I want to marry you because I love you."

I tried to decline again. "Daniel, you don't know what you are saying."

Daniel insisted. "But I know, Eva. I want to marry, and I have been waiting for the right time to tell you. I know this timing is wrong but...I don't want to waste any more time thinking of the future. I want you to be mine."

A tear fell.

The water around my eyes surrounded and I could barely see him with my hazy vision. I found myself smiling with sadness.

I have known Daniel for years and I knew what kind of man he was. I didn't know if I loved the man in front of me, but I deeply cared for him.

Finally, I whispered, "Yes."

Daniel jolted and echoed, "Yes?"

I continued, "I will marry you."

The wide smile appeared in his face and he embraced me with his arms. His hold around my frame was tight as he didn't want me to ever flee for him.

Daniel said, "You made me so happy."

His embrace broke and looked at me with so much hope.

He uttered, "I do not want to wait, Eva. I want to marry you tomorrow. I do not ever want you to feel alone ever again. I want to be there for you forever."

I nodded slowly and embraced his form as I wanted every word to be true.

I did not want to feel alone.