Chapter 6

Throbbing arm ached intensively as I shut my eyes forcefully.

The agony that transmitted through my arm was intensifying. The hard-cold floor touched my back as I opened my eyes slowly.

With one arm my strength was limited as I tried to sit against the wall. Once in the position, I turned my gaze around to see the darkness. However, the room was lit with one candle on the other side of the steel bars. I realised that was in a prison and alone.

The cold air wrinkled in around me as I looked around for any clue to get out. When I could not find, I stood up slowly and went near the prison bars.

The pain from air still radiated as I tried to raddle the bars, however, I stopped when a figure appeared from the darkness.

The dark silhouette revealed red glowing eyes.

The instant instinct was to take a few steps backwards, away from the prison bars. Clutching my arm near my shoulder, I looked at the unknown man.

The man uttered, "Rogue, you dared to cross my land, now you will rot here."

I tried, "Please, I am no--"

The man with glowing eyes shouted, "Quiet."

Jumping backwards, I took more steps until my back touched the wall.

His red eyes locked into my arm and remarked, "Why you healed yet?"

I lied, "I do not know."

Locking his gaze to mine, he continued, "And I do not care. You are Rogue, and you deserve to here in the prison."

He turned around and disappeared.

My orbs still searching for the man who I could not find. When I understood he wouldn't come back, I relaxed slightly.

Looking around the cold room, it was just a vast square prison where there weren't any blankets or a bed.

Dropping to the ground, against the wall, I thought of the man.

His glowing red eyes suggested that he was the Alpha of this part of the land. His disgust towards me, or Rogues, was intense as I could feel from where I stood.

There were six Alphas, which once included me. Although, this Alpha was not recognised, which meant that he had taken his power recently.

Being blind by anger made him overlook who I really was.

I took a quiet sigh when I heard my tummy rumble. I haven't eaten for days as I had walked away from Daniel's pack.

but I jolted as I heard a screeching sound. Looking at that direction, I saw hand near a silver plate on the ground.

A raspy voice said, "Here."

To my surprise, the plate contained a piece of bread. The small act was so pleasant that made me smile.

I said calmly, "Who are you?"

The voice uttered, "Just like you, I am a prisoner."

Sadness overflowed, and it was transparent through my face.

I could not see the person on the other side and vice-versa, however, his voice contained anger.

I whispered, "I can't take this from you. It is yours."

He answered, "I am not hungry."

After some self-reluctance, I asked, "Are you sure?"

The steady-voice continued, "Yes."

I smiled sadly, even if he couldn't see my face, "Thank you."

Taking the bread, I started eating and ravished on the small miracle in my hands.

After few heartbeats, he uttered, "Why are you here?"

I thought of a good answer, but I did not know how to explain.

When he became impatient, he continued, "I have been here for six months and every day is miserable than the other."

I instantly asked, "Why?"

He answered, "It is complicated."

I only said, "Oh..."

Silence started creeping once again.

However, his voice rang in the air, "My name is Felix. Yours?"

I thought of my poetic birth name as it meant good news. Although, I was not ever lucky enough to give its meaning. My life was full of sorrow and bad luck.

I was not even worthy of my great name.

Instead, I simply said, "Evie."

A remembrance of my fallen name. A remembrance of yesterday and a beginning of my new life.

Leaving my birth name behind was painful, which felt like I was letting go of my old self. However, the time had stood still when I had lost everything.

Breaking my thoughts, the voice asked, "Evie, did you hear me?"

Slightly frightened, I tried to calm myself from my dark thoughts.

I gained my composure and said, "Yes, I apologise. What did you say?"

He repeated, "I asked, why are you in this prison?"

I echoed, "It is complicated."

The dark chuckle rang from the other side as he had heard my answer.

I could picture the smirk when he said, "Good one."

Ignoring his statement, I filled myself in a bubble where all my sorrows met. The constant dark whispers invading my mind as all the demons are coming for me, while my wolf stayed quiet.

A shaky sigh passed my lips as I was paralysed.

He asked, "Are you alright?"

Taking a deep sigh, I answered him levelled, "Always."

Lying to him was easier.

Lying to myself was harder.

AFTER FEW DAYS

Sleeping in the cold-hard ground had become familiar.

The room still was cold and empty as I had first arrived. Every day, a soldier gave stale food with a cup of water in the morning. The most painful part was when they mocked my state behind bars.

The constant laugher rang in my ear day in and out, however, the monsters inside of my head were much bigger than I could control.

The day that I accepted and convinced myself that this was my punishment was the day I let go. However, not fully. The man besides my jail cell was constantly bringing me back.

His words dripped with poison with each remark, however, it was clear that he was as scared as I was.

I listened because he needed that, like I needed a distraction from my thoughts.

I felt like I wasn't alone, and we found ourselves being friends.

Today was different than the others.

As I opened my eyes, they were met with darkness, but my ears listened to my friend crying in pain. I could hear the soldiers beating him with force, but Felix did not give up.

He endured everything that they gave. 

When the soldiers left, I was there to pick up the pieces. I did not need to whisper sweet words as he already knew that I was there to talk if needed. 

*****

Read, vote and comment!