Homecoming

For the next few weeks, I felt more and more awkward around Alex. I could tell he was too. I tried my best to avoid him, and the embarrassment of explaining what happened at New Years Eve. But whenever we ate breakfast together, Alex always looked up at me from time to time, and he looked like he wanted to ask me something, while blushing mad.

"Hey, Sketch." Alex brings a piece of mail to me, "you want to go to Homecoming over the weekend?"

Now I know I'm a college dropout, but it be nice to see old professors and classmates.

"Why not?" I look away.

"Great, and, um, Sketch—" he pauses unsurely, "do you want to be my date?"

I smile, "of course I do."

When we arrived, I decided to walk around the track with Alex. It was chilly but still sweet. The air had this snowy smell. Alex brought me some popcorn for the game, and we walked around the school.

We sat on a swinging bench in the park by the dorms.

"So..." I began.

"Yeah, um, New Years Eve—"

"I'm so sorry for kissing you, Alex. I don't know what came over me." I stuttered.

"It's fine, Sketch, it's just... was it real?" He fidgeted.

I take a breath before answering, "yes," I see a smile form on his face, "it was real, and I hope my feeling don't affect our relationship. If you don't feel the—" I'm cut off when he kisses my forehead.

"Elijah Best, I loved you since college and could never stop thinking of you since then. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes! Yes I will, Alex!" I jump up to hug him.

This is right where I should be, in the arms of someone I actually love.