Chapter 11

At first you were confused about what you saw. Besides Markus in the room, you thought you had recognised the other person just by the voice. But the man that was standing with the back turned to you now, didn't look like Connor at all. He was wearing a baggy sweatshirt, loose pants and a dark beanie. And this man was pointing a gun directly at Markus head; something that Connor would never do. Even though you had burst in the door, none of them really reacted to you.

Markus only gave you a short glare before taking a step closer to the armed man in front of him. You almost gasped by the movement.

"You are one of us. You can't betray your own people." Markus spoke loud and clear. He took a step closer and the armed man shifted a little and adjusted the gun against Markus head again, as it was slowly dropping.

"You are coming with me!"

"Connor!" Your first reaction was to shout out his name, when you realised that you hadn't heard it wrong when you stood outside the door. The man wearing an old hoodie and was pointing a gun at your friend was Connor. And he didn't move. But he must have shown some kind of reaction to you because Markus was now looking between you two with his head tilted.

"Do you never have any doubts?" Markus cleverly asked because with these words, Connor finally looked at you. It was only briefly and without lowering the gun. But you send him a hurt expression. The Connor you knew and liked would never point a gun at anyone. But the fact that he actually was having a gun was already against what the DPD would let androids do.

"You've never done something irrational, as if there is something inside you? Something more than your program." Markus continued as he stepped closer to Connor. But Connor had his eyes on you again. Markus could easily jump forward and take the gun right out of his hands by then, but he didn't.

"Connor, please. Don't do this. We are on the same side." You whispered and drew your arms around your body as a shiver went through you. This very human reaction of yours made Connor loose his focus on his cause. His gun lowered a little and he opened his mouth like a question was on his lips, but he didn't say anything. Though, a concerned look was on his face.

"You are wondering who you really are, aren't you?" Markus voice broke through to Connor and it was like he had to force himself to look back at Markus again.

"W-what?" Said Connor, like you two was just interrupted in something. You guess you were.

"You are wondering whether you are just a machine executing a program, or a living being... capable of emotions." Markus spoke again and now it was his turn to look at you. You swore you saw the corner of his mouth twitch. He nodded one time as to gesture to you. You didn't know what he meant but you spoke out loud.

"Connor. This is not you. I know you and you would never point a gun at someone." You said with a pleading voice.

"He needs to surrender." Connor said but didn't sound so sure anymore.

"Connor." You took the chance and walked towards him. His gun was still pointed at Markus but his eyes were on you as you tried to force a smile upon your lips. He was scaring you a little. You didn't know if it was him or his program that had taking over completely. But something was wrong. You didn't know what he was capable of when he was like that.

"You have to stop this. You are not a killer. I don't want you to do something you will regret." You walked slowly closer and when you were close enough to touch him, you moved in front of Connor and took Markus place at the end of the barrel.

"Shut your mouth." Connor said with wide eyes. He was clearly not prepared for what you just did and didn't know what to do.

"No. No, I'm not going to let this happen. I'm not letting you ruin yourself. I know you. It'll break you if you do this!" You said with a raise voice and stood a few centimetres taller.