we were just kids

THE PAST
we didn't even know who we were

//

It's late in the evening. The sun is about to set and all that can be heard is the track of bicycles, the faint sound of crickets and radiant cars driving down noiseless roads in the distance until-

"I can't see!"

"I know you can't shortie. Wait-"

"Did you just call me shortie Hobi?" Nine year old Serenity starts to fake cry, being called short is not a surprise to her but she loves to tease her best friend.

Hoseok stops trying to get his pastel cobalt blue bicycle to stand up straight as it collapses to the gravel pavement and he rushes to her with his hands waving, holding onto each side of her head. He squishes her cheeks, her hair tangled in his fingers as he smiles down at her. "I didn't mean to. Come on! We're going to miss it." He says in a rush and ruffles her hair.

Serenity smiles at the action, loving how prosperous she feels when thinking about his tanned arms, chocolate coloured eyes and dreary curled locks. She helps young Hoseok to lean his bicycle against the wall and they high five each other.

Serenity clambers onto his shoulders, holding on tightly as he holds her up so she can see over the wall. "I can finally see the sunset!" She gasps.

The two of them stare into the distance as the sun says it's goodbye, the amber glow flickering its shine across the grass plains and roofed houses. Hues of pink and faint purple fill the sky, all shades of blue disappearing. Serenity moves her hands and tangles her fingers in Hoseok's hair as he carries her with all his strength, not taking a second to complain. She kisses the top of his head and thanks him.

"Always here for you."