unwanted

THE PAST
i'm sorry things didn't work out for us

//

Serenity texts her mother if she wants anything from the clothing store she's at, knowing she likes jumpers that fit her well and are perfect for the winter season. as she waits for a reply in the queue to pay for her own goods, she looks around at the tills.

Jin used to work here, she remembers. she saw him once and he saw her, she never dared to look back at his reaction. that feels so long ago, their lives were so different and she doesn't think she'll ever see him again.

it's a shame. she'd love to see his reaction this time.

"cashier four please."

Serenity moves her dark hair to fall over her shoulders before she makes her way to the cashier till. she greets the retail worker with a quick hello, placing her items on the desk.

as the lady scans her items, Serenity can't help but look around and her eyes land on the strawberry mints at the front. back in university, her and Taehyung used to eat these like they depended on them.

just as her hand reaches out to grab one of the mint packets, a paler hand does the same. their hands don't touch as the two pull away before they can.

Serenity looks up and her heart stops. Jin. holy shit, out of all days, out of all moments...

they both lower their hands and look away. Serenity's heart hammers against her chest, she still has the same reaction to people from her past and it's a curse. when she looks towards the front, her bag is ready and she has to pay.

she holds up her cash card before clenching her jaw, not daring to look to her side. her hair covers the side of her face so she can't see him. he still looks the same and for some reason it makes her giddy. his brown hair is not as curly anymore, he's slightly taller, mature looking and still wears khaki green. his eyes are still full of surprise yet mystery and she wonders if he's still clever and quiet.

"thank you," Serenity grabs her shopping bag before starting to walk away from both the cashier and Jin.

she can't help but look over her shoulder as she does, needing to know his reaction. now or never. her heart gains much needed closure when he smiles at her with closed lips, and she smiles back, both their silver and gold wedding rings glinting under the artificial light.