Chapter 13

Description: With a semblance of a plan in mind, Javi and Louis venture into the unknown to get information on Clementine's kidnappers. Louis realizes just how far he'll go to get his wife back.

Wordcount: 2892

A/N: Woo, first post of the new year! I hope you guys had great Holidays, and hope y'all enjoy this new part. You will be shook when you read this, you don't even know.

---

 "You ready to go?"

Javier approached Louis, holding his bat in his right hand. He'd chosen a thick leather jacket for the occasion, along with a pair of denim jeans. Louis still wore his customary brown trench coat and green shirt. 'Chairles' was propped up against the door of the car beside him. He looked up at Javier and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm ready," he said, taking the chair leg and opening the door.

Gabe stood next to his uncle, holding the special walkie-talkies. He handed one of them to Javier, who strapped it to his belt. Around them, Richmond's inhabitants moved about their day. Two children ran past them, filling the air with squeals of joy. Lucky kids, Louis thought. He saw Gabriel give his uncle a hug, requesting he come back home safely.

The older man took his seat at the driver's seat and turned on the car. While the guards at the door lifted the gate for them to pass, Gabe approached the passenger's window and extended his hand at Louis. Louis awkwardly stared at it and then back up at Gabe.

"Good luck," Gabe said, nodding. "I hope you make it."

Louis hesitantly took the offered hand, shaking it. "Thanks, man."

Without another word, Gabriel walked away toward the admin building. After a moment's thought, Louis called back to him, making him turn. "If Violet and AJ come back, tell them to wait for me in my room, okay? Please."

"Will do," Gabe promised, nodding assertively. As he went back to his station, Javi and Louis embarked on yet another road trip north. They had taken the night to rest up in preparation for today, which hadn't helped with Louis's anxiety. Clem had already been taken for four days, and he wouldn't be waiting anymore.

As the country road flew past them, Louis looked out the window at the rising sun on the horizon. He'd taken to regard the sun as a beacon of hope. To him, sunshine had always represented a brighter future, and if there was something he needed right now, it was light.

He wondered for the tenth time what they could be driving into. For all they knew, these people were holed up in a military base with no way in or out. Positive thoughts, Louis, he chastised himself. He looked over to Javi, who was banging his head gently to the rhythm of the song on the radio. How they had managed to find a cassette of his favorite band, Javi didn't know.

After barely an hour and a half, Javi pulled over on the side of the road and parked it as close to the tree line as possible. Once they got out, he and Louis pulled a large green tarp over the Mustang. As per Javi's request, Louis was careful in placing the leaves and branches over the car. They stepped back, inspecting their handiwork.

"Actually, it doesn't look half bad," Javi commented, crossing his arms. From up close, one could clearly tell it was a car, Louis knew. But from afar, it could easily be confused for a thicket of bushes. The pair turned and ventured into the forest, where Javi claimed the marked area would soon start. With a short press of a button, Javi let his nephew know they were in position.

Louis and Javier walked through a small path created by nature itself, its winding edges leading them father into the woods. They encountered the odd walker every few minutes, taking care of them in a swift manner. Javi looked over to Louis, who had remained quite silent since they'd gotten on the car.