Chapter 21

Description: After finding AJ and bringing him back home, it's time for Lous and Clem's most important moment in their lives. Their little bundle of joy is finally coming!

Wordcount: 4200

A/N: Finally, the baby is here! Wow, this has been such an amazing journey, watching the story evolve and turn into what it is right now. The story itself is almost coming to a close by now but worry not, I still have plenty more Clouis planned for y'all.

---

"The baby's coming."

Panic surged through Louis's body when he heard those three words, making him shake on the spot. His eyes went wide, staring blankly at Violet. The blonde rolled her eyes and pushed Louis toward the admin building. From inside, Louis could hear faint screams.

"Is that Clementine?"

"Yeah, turns out childbirth is not such a joyride after all," Violet snapped. They rushed into the building and headed straight for the music room, where another scream echoed.

They pushed the doors open and Louis spotted his wife lying on the floor, a thick blanket beneath her. Her legs were spread out, a blanket covering them all the way to her feet, and her face was almost completely red. Ruby was kneeling in front of Clem, telling her to breathe in and out, which was probably just stressing the pregnant woman even more. Tenn and Willy were on the sidelines, both of them holding bandages and a small blanket, too awestruck to move.

She laid eyes on Louis, her eyes tinged with fear. When she beckoned him over, he obliged, kneeling beside her and taking her hand. "Hey baby, I'm here, don't worry."

"She's not supposed to be here yet, Louis," she breathed, her voice cracking. "It's too soon!"

"I know, baby, I know," Louis said, kissing her hand. "But I know you're strong. This baby's coming safe and sound."

He nodded at her, and she pursed her lips in response. She didn't look too convinced. Another contraction hit her then, and she hunched over in pain. Ruby placed her hands on Clem's knees, gently reminding her to breathe.

"We shouldn't have come here," Clem gasped, looking up at Louis. "We should have listened to Eleanor and stay put at Richmond."

"A little late for that, honey," Louis joked, earning a punch from Clementine. Don't joke with a pregnant woman, Louis.

AJ was standing by the door, awkwardly shuffling his feet. He stared at Clem as she breathed heavily, squeezing Louis's hand tightly. "I'm glad you're okay, AJ," she breathed out. She attempted a smile at her adoptive son but trembled when a surge of pain shot through her spine.

"It's alright, I'm here," Louis assured her again, nodding. He turned to AJ and smile. "Hey, kiddo, would you bring Clem here some water?"

The boy nodded vigorously and rushed out of the room, closing the door behind him. Louis watched in horror as Clem heaved ragged breaths, her eyes closed. Ruby kneeled in front of Clem, giving the couple a reassuring smile. Lifting the blanket at her feet, she nodded at Clem.

"We're almost ready to start pushing," she announced, checking her wristwatch.

"What are you, checking what time it is?" Louis asked frantically, his mind racing a thousand miles an hour.

"I'm checking how close together the contractions are, dummy," Ruby corrected, showing them her watch. "I read on a few maternity books that, when contractions are two minutes apart or less, it's almost go time."